• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone here have a Sprinter van?

This is completely my thoughts and may not be fact at all but Mercedes/Dodge/Freightliner owned the market at first. Ford and Chevy could not compete with the new high top diesel that was released. The Sprinters did not have to try hard to take over the market. Well along comes Nissan with their abomination of a van. Sprinters were unphased. Well then Dodge released the promaster which is utter garbage and Sprinters held their title and complacent attitudes. Now ford has had years and years to study the market and bring to the table what everyone else has been having trial and error with for the last 12-14 years in the American market and really hit the nail on the head.

My buddy in Blairsville picked up a new Transit mid summer last tear. The third trip to Altanta, it shredded it's drive shaft due to some plastic part. It took out the gas tank and several other under carriage systems.

Ford knew about the bad part, and is now replacing with all metal parts. The warranty repair took over 4 months to happen, during which time they gave him a Tahoe to drive.

He now wants a suburban after driving the Tahoe for so long. Needs the extra room for his triplets.

I just bought a 2012 GL 350 Mercedes with the BlueTec Diesel, REALLY loving driving this thing. I put 40k or so on a car a year, so am hoping this thing holds up to 500k or so. Maintenance, maintenance.

I bought my wife an ML350 last year for her birthday, and we love it. However, it's a gasser not a diesel. I do believe Ford has made a dent in MB's sales with their Transit, which I can get for less than the Sprinter. But after driving one, they are noisy and nowhere near as comfortable or powerful as the Sprinter. My fear is, unless I buy new and count on pouring $$ into dealer service, a used Sprinter will be nothing but heartache. The compromise is a Transit that is "almost" a Sprinter, but may give me less grief.

I wouldn't buy a used Sprinter for the fact that it's almost guaranteed it was driven by an employee who doesn't care about it or a rental vehicle that the renter didn't care about it. I hate buying new but when my business depends on the vehicle staying on the road it is just a necessary evil.

Back
Top Bottom