• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone into precision air rifle?

I was just going to suggest this--- if a high-end air rifle isn't affordable to own yourself, how about getting a good .22LR rifle and setting it up with similar sights, giving it the same kind of butt plate and fore-end hand stop (if so equipped), using the same kind of sling, etc? Would you be able to take your kid out shooting with a .22 LR rifle, from a range that allows shooting from the prone position?

All the fundamentals are the same. Sure, it's not as good as getting more trigger time on the exact same rifle, but any slow fire precision rifle shooting from the same position using the same kind of sights will benefit the kid.

Also, for shooting at 10 meters, or even 50 feet, you can use "CB" ammo. It's a lot quieter and very accurate in any rifle I've tried it in. The velocity is only about 740 f.p.s. so it has a lot of drop at longer distances, but that won't matter at 50 feet or less.

For $250, you can get a "Beeman" (Chinese -made) CO2 air rifle with very nice sights.
I have the rear sight from this rifle on a Ruger 10/22 match-modified rifle, and it works great for that.
Training with an airgun like this might help your kid make the rifle team.

Air rifle.jpg

http://www.archerairguns.com/qb78-airgun-family-air-rifles-s/27.htm

I got my sights from Archer Airguns. Nice folks to deal with, though not as big as Pyramid or other huge online airgun sellers.

an article on this entire family of air rifles, based off the famous Crosman 160 design, but upgraded quite a bit.

http://www.airgundepot.com/beeman-qb-series.html

QUOTE:
The QB series CO2 bolt action rifles have become a staple in the airgunning world. The QB air rifle is straightforward in an honest way, with exceptional accuracy. The QB’s simple, yet effective design make it a standard for those looking for a simple backyard marksmanship trainer or a solid start to building a custom rifle. With ergonomics and controls very similar to many single shot rimfire rifles the QB78 & QB79 really has cemented itself into our sport, but what is the backstory to these fantastic little rifles? What can you do with this simple but efficient platform? Where did they come from and why do we love them so much?

The IZH 61 looks promising, as a youth trainer, for only $100-$150.
Some models come with an open rear sight, but I think a match-style peep sight for the rear is available.
It's a side-cocking gun that has a fixed barrel (better for accuracy).
Modest velocity great for 50 feet target shooting.
Magazine holds 5 rounds of .177 pellets.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/08/izh-61-part-1from-russia-with-love/

Update: Well I'm a bit disappointed, as when I ask he says they are giving them ZERO instruction. Basically, "watch how the others do it." I find it only a 'little' hard to believe as they are severely understaffed (basically one guy trying to run the show).
They've started a JV team and he's been practicing with them but today they've asked him to start practicing with the varsity team (he's a freshman). Not sure that means anything but I hope so. I really need to start working with him but I know less than jack about 3 position shooting. :doh:

Back
Top Bottom