• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone know how to do wheel math to determine was size?

I’ve been out of this game for a while. Do you know what kind of wheels they were? If you were happy with that fit then that would be the easiest way to know the backspacing you need.

Also, do you want DOT looking slicks or normal radial tires? We used to run M&H race masters on the street. They look good and are predictable on dry roads but don’t shed water at all in the rain.

The wheels the slicks were mounted on were some unmarked chrome bullet hole style Weld wheel. Previous owner made his own bead lock by screwing self tapping screws into the outer rim edge inner and outer face. I need street tires as I am not racing this on the track or strip.

I think I can get a 295/55/15 which is close.

Yes, essentially you just need to look online at available tires and choose something on the manufacturer’s site that has the height of the old tire and a suitable width. Many manufacturers will have different physical sizes with the same size listed on the tire. You have to look them up to be sure. Most 28” slicks I looked up where actually listed as being within 1/2” of 28” so I’m assuming those you had were very close to a true 28” tall.

It would be easier to know the backspacing of the old wheels. I looked and unfortunately Draglites are available in lots of different backspacings. I wonder if you could contact the new owner and get him to measure the backspacing. It’s the distance from the back edge of the wheel to the flange where it mounts to the axle. A straightedge laid on the back of the wheel makes this easier to measure accurately.

Jist FYI.
my buddy had a bery similar truck with 22” wide tires stuffed into the tubs and a nice paint job.
the motor was ratty under the hoos and ran kinda crappy but one of the Atlanta consignment shops sold it for him to someone in the UAE for $42-k.
he made out big!

Yes, essentially you just need to look online at available tires and choose something on the manufacturer’s site that has the height of the old tire and a suitable width. Many manufacturers will have different physical sizes with the same size listed on the tire. You have to look them up to be sure. Most 28” slicks I looked up where actually listed as being within 1/2” of 28” so I’m assuming those you had were very close to a true 28” tall.

It would be easier to know the backspacing of the old wheels. I looked and unfortunately Draglites are available in lots of different backspacings. I wonder if you could contact the new owner and get him to measure the backspacing. It’s the distance from the back edge of the wheel to the flange where it mounts to the axle. A straightedge laid on the back of the wheel makes this easier to measure accurately.

Back space of old wheels was 3.5 inches. I think I will have to use a 275/60/15 and try to find a 15 x 10 wheel that has a backspace of 2.5 inches or less which would push the tire out towards the fender.

Back
Top Bottom