• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone Reloading 38 super

sold7

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
124   0
Reaction score
Thinking about getting an STI in 38 Super (Like an Edge)

I reload 9mm 45ACP, 38 Spec ,357 300blk,45-70 and 308 currently

Questions

What are your favorite bullets (looking at Montana Gold or Precision Delta)

Are you running nickel or reg brass

What are some of your favorite powders

Case life of the brass (number of reloads)

Do you run a compensator

Last edited:
I reload 38 super. I actually like the berrys 124 grain HBTP bullets for my open gun. For powder I use IMR 4756, VV3N38, or Longshot. I use any brass I can find with a egw U die to resize it all the way to the rim. My gun is compensated.

Just my opinion but if your set on a edge get it in 40s&w. From a competition standpoint the edge is one of the guns to have for USPSA limited and 40 is really the only competitive caliber. If you really want 38 super then it's time to step up to a open gun (it's really fun) you can't go wrong with any of the sti open guns, if I was looking at one I would look at the trubore or the matchmaster. If you like the idea of open check out 9major caliber it is much cheaper from a brass standpoint but loading for isn't for the faint of heart!

i57.tinypic.com_1zdabv4.jpg

Both are custom built sti from gunsmiths. Top is a 38 super or supercomp open gun and bottom is a 40 limited gun.

Any other questions let me know if I can help.

I shoot the Super too. It's a great round. I use a custom Lee sizing die for a tighter hold on .355" bullets. I've used .355", .356", and .357 jacketed bullets with excellent results.

I've used several powders including Universal, Longshot, HP38/W231 etc.

I have nothing good to say about nickel. Well it is shiny, but that's it.

If you like the idea of open check out 9 major caliber it is much cheaper from a brass standpoint but loading for isn't for the faint of heart!

Any other questions let me know if I can help.

Why is loading for 38 super harder than any of the other calibers I reload now. I would think it is similar to the 9MM Is it because pushing it in the major category?

I heard that the 38 Super was much better at feeding in the ?011 guns

Thanks

38 super isn't any harder. There are book loads that make major so that isn't too big of a deal, and even the ones that aren't book loads don't go too far over published loads to get there. The 9major round is the one that is much less forgiving. 9major is kinda like a 9mm +p+++. Basically your loading almost 38 super powder charges in a 9mm case and pushing a 124 grain bullet to 1400fps or so. Very high pressure.

38 super does run very good in the 2011 guns, because the OAL is long, but so does any of the other calipers if the gun and ammo is set up and tuned right. I load my 40 long (1.190) so that it feeds better. 9mm runs good if you run spacers in the mags and load a little long.

Be advised that 38 super only makes major in open, even if you load to major power factor you will be score minor in all other divisions, if your looking into USPSA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom