• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone Rethinking Their "One Common Caliber" Policy Now?

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
With calibers like the .22LR, 9mm & .223/5.56 being among the first to sell out, I'm curious if any of you that adopted the one common caliber for your weapons are having second thoughts about putting all your eggs in one basket?

Many of the arguments used for adopting these have been to the detriment of their availability.

Kinda glad I like the less popular calibers now myself.

to an extent. I can still find 9mm pretty commonly when I need a box or 2 but seriously I can order 8x56r all day long from a mess of websites that have it full in stock. also 17 hmr has been in stock EVERYWHERE iv checked. lol now wish I never sold my old 17 hmr.......

I consolidated calibers but I also stocked several years worth of ammo into storage in addition to ample reloading supplies should things get bad for a protracted amount of time.

LOL! I never did believe in limiting myself to one or even a very few calibers. But I STILL needed to branch out. I was stocking and able to shoot 9, 40, 45 and .380 in handgun and .22 LR. .223/5.56 and 7.6 in rifle. I've recently added 30-30 and 3006 and just based on WalMarts stock position I am seriously thinking about a .243 and .270.

I have to admit, I have been thinking about picking up a .40 lately. It's the only common handgun caliber that I don't already own. I just really don't care for the .40S&W though so I won't shoot it much. Might just try to find a LEO trade-in Glock and just use it as a truck gun.

As long as you keep Plenty on hand of which calibers you chose, no big deal. Being lucky I reload as do you Chuckdog, so with the exception 22lr it's a Rarity that I purchase any ammo. I'm good to go for a LOOOONG time. I can see where people that purchase all their ammo are in Dire Straights though.

If you were smart and had enough of your 9mm, 5.56mm, or whatever caliber you wanted, no reason to worry.

The pain in the ass is if you find a deal outside your caliber and then can't find ammo for it.

Back
Top Bottom