• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone Rethinking Their "One Common Caliber" Policy Now?

I guess I look at it differently than some people. I consolidated to a few calibers for the ease of stocking ammo at a reasonable price and ample quantity. I have .22 LR and magnum in quantities that will be sufficient. The 9mm, 30-06, 7x57, 20 gauge, 12 gauge, .410 and .270 I have on hand should last for many years. Because I limited the number of calibers, it allowed me to stock up on the ones I have at a greater depth than would have been reasonable trying to cover a lot of different ones.

The reason for consolidating calibers IMO is to allow the money that would have been spent on stocking many to be spent on a few in greater quantities. The people just getting into guns or that never had sufficient ammo for the guns they had are the ones taking the biggest hit. I have known a few that had a lot of guns, but virtually no ammo for any of them. The people that think like that are the ones who put $5-10 of gas in their car when it is empty instead of filling it up and refilling when the tank is half empty in case they need to go somewhere in an emergency. The chance of a bad storm hitting and there being no power to pump gas is a real possibility and it doesn't cost any more to keep it full than it does to keep putting a little gas in every day.

Run 9mm, .223, .380 and .22 calibers right now (will get another 45 auto here soon). Ammo is scarce on the shelves but local gun shops and ranges have allowed me to keep enough on hand. Granted I'm not going crazy with my shooting and am using ammo conservatively but I'm also not overpaying for ammo listed here or on other sites.

I'm sure as production catches up and the demand comes down a bit after all this panic buying I'll be able to slowly rebuild and replenish my supply. So I'm sticking with the pistols and rifles I have. Just limiting how much I shoot and how often I go till things get better.

I decided years ago to go with what works and is easy to reload. .308 is about the perfect rifle caliber in my opinion. I am nt a sniper but I can hit targets at 800 yds with 308 just fine. 45 acp has great stopping power and is easy to reload for someone with larger than woman hands. Besides the 1911 fits my hand well and there are a blue blazin billion of them. If we have a SHTF scenario who knows what will be available. That said I feel confident that .308 & .45acp will remain the most popular and therefore easiest to obtain.

I try to keep one handgun of every common caliber. Of the rifles .223, .243, 7.62 x39, 30-30 and .308 are kept. If you don't have ammo what the heck good are they. Have enough ammo to last you the duration, however long that is.

nope. The only pistol calibers I own are 22lr, 9mm and 7.65mm (32acp). I have plenty of ammo for all them. Just picked up 1,500 rounds of 9mm today. So things are looking better and im not about to buy another gun just to be able to shoot. Id rather just wait and not shoot. Plus it looks like its going to rain tomorrow so that saves me some ammo. I might go shoot anyway.

Back
Top Bottom