• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone tried .357 180 gr in the 35 Remington?

davis211

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
27   0
Reaction score
I can't find any .358 200 gr. round nose. Reading online I see where others have used .357 180's (like the XTP) in their 35's and claim good results. Anyone here tried it yet? Trying to stay away from hard cast since I might use them for hunting.

Thanks.

Howdy, I've loaded 400 - 180gr Hornady XTP's in 35 Whelen with Great results. I used 200 for my barrel break-in and have shot another 200 just to see how fast I could get them going. I used QuickLoad for a starting spot and worked up from there.. Although I must say using precise numbers such as Internal case H2O volume/weight, case length, and cartridge length. The numbers were very spot on, atleast for Reloder 17. I stopped playing with them and went into cast bullets. However from 2,900-3,200fps, they shot bug hole groups at 100yd. I never got around to jug testing them, I figured at those velocities there wouldn't be a point.. They'd probably act like little grenades.

In the 35 Rem's velocity range, I feel like they'd do a really great job! If you don't know where to start and don't have QuickLoad.. Just post or message me your specifics, barrel length and twist, powder(s), case length, volume, and intended overall cartridge length. I'll run it through QuickLoad for you.

Also here's some online retailers that have the 180's, if you haven't gotten your hands on any yet.

Happy and Safe 35 Loading!

Thanks a lot for the info. I have a box of the 180 XTP’s that I was going to use for 357 Mag but loaded 158’s instead. I’ll do some research on powders/loads and find a starting point for the 35 Rem. and get back with you. It’ll probably be February before I start.
Thanks again.

I can't find any .358 200 gr. round nose. Reading online I see where others have used .357 180's (like the XTP) in their 35's and claim good results. Anyone here tried it yet? Trying to stay away from hard cast since I might use them for hunting.

Thanks.
I use hard cast for hunting. Like the results better than jacketed myself.

Rosewood

i've been looking at the 200gr RN molds so that when I start casting/powder coating, I'll have some 35rem bullets.

I know RCBS makes on but harder to find and more $$, might just try the lee and see how it goes.

I once loaded some cheap 38 special rounds, back when I was a handloader, using 125 gr. round-nose all-lead bullets that were sized .356"

This is slightly undersized for what a .38 /.357 revolver should use.
Nonetheless, accuracy was good as long as my velocities were modest. Only when I experimented with super high velocity +P loads with those light weight bullets, then the accuracy suffered.

Back
Top Bottom