• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone using stainless tumbling?

I think this Stainless media cleaning is best for badly tarnished range pickups only. This type of tumbling work hardens the exterior of brass which is not good IMO (split necks after firing for instance)... especially .223 type brass. This type of cleaning works best for strait wall type brass.

I think this Stainless media cleaning is best for badly tarnished range pickups only. This type of tumbling work hardens the exterior of brass which is not good IMO (split necks after firing for instance)... especially .223 type brass. This type of cleaning works best for strait wall type brass.

I have no problem with one and done brass for 3 gun.

Split necks are from not annealing brass you have mostlikely been oversizeing with cheaper standard dies with very tight neck specs. desighned into the dies as a one size fits all for any bullet brass combination . Dies like the redding type s with bushings to fit a certain bullet brass combination do not over work the brass. The stainless media is not the cause. I have magnum brass with 4+ reloads no issues. My shooting partner has magnum brass with alot more than 4 reloads

Last edited:
The stainless tumbling media is great and the brothers that run the company are young dudes so its purdy neat to see their business takeoff like it has.they are good guys with a superior product hands down.

Last edited:
Anyone have a stainless steel tumbling set up? I have some brass that I'd like to run thru some stainless media to see how it turns out. .

I think you'll be very pleased. I tried crushed walnut and corn cob but could never get bright and shiny brass. What came out was clean but not shiny. I finally bit the bullet and bought some SS media. My personal results are:
1 Hour = Cleaner than I've ever gotten with crushed walnut alone
2 Hour = Once fired and immediately picked up brass is basically brand new. Old range brass may still have some spots
3 Hour = Get your sunglasses out!

My recipe is the standard Dawn dishwashing liquid along with the half teaspoon of LemiShine (or whatever it's name is)

One last thing, I'll see about two 9mm shells with SS media wedged in the flash hole per 1000 rounds. Pops right out with a little persuasion but does make me have to look.

Back
Top Bottom