• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR 10 - 16 inch barrel - seems kinda short

Triathloncoach

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
201   0
Reaction score
I am not much of a shooter, but I am guessing 16 inches is well short of the optimal barrel length for the 7.62 Nato. Isn't 20" the best for getting close to the most from a 556 round? I can miss just as easily with any of them but for you guys who know how to shoot, is 16" noticible?

I have a bone stock armalite ar 10 16 inch barrel with a m 308 Nikon scope. I like it use it all deer season. Heavy but short and easy to maneuver in a deer stand, walking through the woods etc. I did miss at 200 yards this year. I want to free float the barrel and see if this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 32
I picked up a PWS MK216 recently. Reviews I read said that you give up a bit of velocity at long distances, but I'm hoping it can make hits at 1k yards. I wanted something lighter and easier to carry around, so stuck with the 16". I'm sure I give up some to longer barrels but with their flash hider/comp on the end it's very smooth shooting and doesn't kick like I expected. I hand load so might try to tailer loads to the shorter barrel but overall I like it.

Back
Top Bottom