Ar 10 ?

timbgtm

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Bigr hamr
Staff member
Super Moderator
137   0
Reaction score
Question? I know I can probably Google this, but what's the difference in buffer tube sizes for the AR 10, and AR15s? So I leave this in the odt brain trust hands.

If you want to use an AR15 receiver extension there is a short buffer made for use in the AR10. If you want to use a standard length AR15 buffer there is a slightly longer receiver extension (buffer tube). Same diameter tube. You generally use a little heavier buffer for the AR10 calibers. Standard carbine weight for an AR10 is pretty much the same as H buffer for AR15. 3.7-3.8oz. Of course this is all talking carbine. Rifle length fixed stock is a different story altogether.

If you want to use an AR15 receiver extension there is a short buffer made for use in the AR10. If you want to use a standard length AR15 buffer there is a slightly longer receiver extension (buffer tube). Same diameter tube. You generally use a little heavier buffer for the AR10 calibers. Standard carbine weight for an AR10 is pretty much the same as H buffer for AR15. 3.7-3.8oz. Of course this is all talking carbine. Rifle length fixed stock is a different story altogether.

Thanks, mostly answers my questions. So milspec tubes are the same? And the buffers, weight is difference between the 10, and 15. ?

Thanks, mostly answers my questions. So milspec tubes are the same? And the buffers, weight is difference between the 10, and 15. ?
Yeah, pretty much want a heavier buffer for the larger calibers. You can use the same milspec tube and just use the short buffer. That is the simplest route. Or you can use the slightly longer tube and use standard length AR15 buffers but you still want the heavier weight.

Yeah, pretty much want a heavier buffer for the larger calibers. You can use the same milspec tube and just use the short buffer. That is the simplest route. Or you can use the slightly longer tube and use standard length AR15 buffers but you still want the heavier weight.

Thanks, that helped.

Make sure to put a 308 buffer spring in it and not the lighter 5.56 spring in the buffer tube also.

Thank you! I believe I've read where you shoot suppressed, is there a buffer which works well for unsurppressed and suppressed?

I just run standard 308 carbine buffer spring and standard short 308 buffer so I can shoot both suppressed and unsuppressed. You will notice a little more recoil with the suppressor; but not enough to make you flinch.

Back
Top Bottom