• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ar-15 Questions

HarmsWay

Default rank <5000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
120   0
Reaction score
I am just now getting into guns and was going to attempt a Ar15 build. I plan on trading my glock 26 for some Ar15 parts and wanted to hear from you guys that have built them before. I have seen daniel defense and that seems the best way to go, but I am not looking to spend that much cash. Any and all advice is welcome.

What's your budget? Options for the AR platform can vary widely. You're hitting it at a time where AR components are starting to dry up in anticipation of November. Parts will only become harder to find as we get closer to decision day.

Unless you consider pinning an upper onto a lower a build, I'd just buy one for my first. You can always build one down the road. I'd get familiar with one, use one, and maintain one a while before I got into building one.

They ain't rocket science, but familiarity will save you money and frustration. CD

You can either go cheap (magpul stuff, generic upper/lower, iron sights) or go the tacticool route of lights, vertical grips etc on an expensive/name brand upper/lower.

Since its your first one, I would try to stick to the spikes level of an ar. Find a lower for $80-100, cheap stock, cheap lower parts kit, generic 16" barrel, etc. You can easily spend $500 if you build yourself and look around for the best deals (even some retail parts, doesn't have to be all used).

I second the buy the first one complete, get a feeling for them then build one. The rifle shouldnt decrease in value if you buy used from places like the ODT. You can later sell it if you decided to build another one

I think I will just buy one first and then do build later. It does make a lot of sense thanks guys for your input

There is a store in Athens that has Palmetto State Ar-15's for $699 with a quad rail for an extra $20. The key is to catch them when they have them in stock. message me for details.

I saw some of those at a shop near Saks Al. yesterday. They look great, simply a bargain in my eyes. If I weren't already AR poor I would have picked up a couple just to have.

I have seen daniel defense and that seems the best way to go, but I am not looking to spend that much cash. Any and all advice is welcome.

I will never understand how people get to thinking like this. You have figured out which brand is better and most likely why (cold hammer forged barrel that will last longer, chrome lined barrel that will last longer, MPI, HPT barrel that is stronger will last longer, a bolt that is MPI tested and shot peened so that it is more reliable and last longer) and still you will go a cheaper route. That to me is like saying "I need a boat to cross that river, I know that one there doesn't have a hole in it, but give me the boat WITH the hole in it instead". :crazy: If you are only going to own one rifle buy a quality one. Buy quality and cry once. It beats buying a cheap gun and having to upgrade parts here and there over time to keep it running/make it run. Over the long run you could have bought a better gun. If you are short on cash save what you need and buy it when you have it. Don't settle.

BCM (Bravo Company USA), Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT any of these.

Back
Top Bottom