• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR BCG function question

Just thinking here. Did you try swapping just the bolt in the carrier? I know it's a bunch of questions, but I too am curious what may have caused it.

Just thinking here. Did you try swapping just the bolt in the carrier? I know it's a bunch of questions, but I too am curious what may have caused it.

Me too. Always like to learn from what others have experienced.

Just for giggles, I am putting my money on out of spec gas chamber in the bolt carrier.

I'm not sure what you mean? You are concerned that you may take too much material off causing them not to line up properly? If so, not even close. You won't really remove any materminal, just smooth it out.
No, if they key was crooked enough, I was thinking it could have slighted deformed the end of the gas tube. Not sure how far off yours was though.

No, if they key was crooked enough, I was thinking it could have slighted deformed the end of the gas tube. Not sure how far off yours was though.

I could see it being just crooked enough to let too much gas bleed at the tube/key junction but not deform the tube. I have not seen that personally, but can see how it could happen.

I remember when I first realized that the gas was not just slamming the BCG back upon firing. And wondering "why so complicated?!?" :lol: Still my favorite, though!

Oh, no the tubes were actually aligned ok. But the offset was more toward the rear causing the side of the key to drag against the side of the receiver.

built an AR this weekend for a friend of my so based on an Anderson multi cal lower and an Anderson parts kit he purchased.
Uses an AIM surplus nib bcg and it would fire but not lock back after last round... Then it would not reliably pick up the next round. So I thought it might be the gas system.
It functioned fine with a different bcg... Could it be a gas key issue?

I put a different bcg in and it ran like a champ... I did not check the key for movement but we will hopefully be sending the bcg back to aim for a replacement since it started this right out of the gate... I don't even have a dozen builds under my belt so still learning
Did you run a completely different bolt carrier group, bolt and all? If so, the issue could be any number of things and figuring it out is a process of elimination. The bolt could be out of spec, carrier key could be loose or have a bad seal, carrier bore could be out of spec, just to name a few. If the malfunctioning BCG is new, don't waste your time trying to narrow it down. Return it, get a refund and buy a quality milspec BCG from BCM or DD. And ditch the stupid NiB coating. I've seen too many of them lose their finish or cause other issues due to the thickness of the coating, specifically on the bolt lugs.

Back
Top Bottom