• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR builders’ tools

recommendation on vise or vise jaws to clamp the barrel for muzzle device removal/installation?
If you have a bench vise take a 2x4 block of wood, draw a center line down the block ( with the grain). The hole should be sized according to the size of your barrel. Using an arbor or forstner drill bit drill your hole on the center line you marked. Now cut the 2x4 in half and place two thin strips of leather in each side of the hole so that the leather will grip the barrel when snugged down tight in your vise. Maybe $2.00 in the entire tool and that is stretching it.

recommendation on vise or vise jaws to clamp the barrel for muzzle device removal/installation?

A standard bench vise and a reaction rod from Geissele or Midwest Industries. All 3 tools are on the list.

3/4” is the most common size wrench for muzzle devices, but I’ve seen many different sizes. Also, some muzzle devices, like the Surefire WARCOMP, take a special tool. So, I would use a crow foot wrench in the appropriate size (or proprietary tool) along with a breaker bar, to remove. Depending on how it was mounted (Rocksett, Loctite, torqued, etc.) you may need penetrating oil, heat, overnight soak in water, shock, etc. For most stubborn devices, a combo of Kroil/heat/shock does the trick.

To install, you need all the same tools, along with a crush washer or shims (if it needs timed), grease or Rocksett (depending on what device you’re mounting), and a torque wrench (don’t exceed 25ft/lbs, and I prefer 20ft/lbs).

Use the proper tools, and don’t Bubba up some homemade tool in your garage. A large portion of my day at the Armorer’s bench is devoted to fixing stuff done by folks that either didn’t have the proper tools, or didn’t know what they were doing, or both.

All of this is covered in-depth in my AR Builder’s Course. Next one is August 21 in Marietta.

A standard bench vise and a reaction rod from Geissele or Midwest Industries. All 3 tools are on the list.

3/4” is the most common size wrench for muzzle devices, but I’ve seen many different sizes. Also, some muzzle devices, like the Surefire WARCOMP, take a special tool. So, I would use a crow foot wrench in the appropriate size (or proprietary tool) along with a breaker bar, to remove. Depending on how it was mounted (Rocksett, Loctite, torqued, etc.) you may need penetrating oil, heat, overnight soak in water, shock, etc. For most stubborn devices, a combo of Kroil/heat/shock does the trick.

To install, you need all the same tools, along with a crush washer or shims (if it needs timed), grease or Rocksett (depending on what device you’re mounting), and a torque wrench (don’t exceed 25ft/lbs, and I prefer 20ft/lbs).

Use the proper tools, and don’t Bubba up some homemade tool in your garage. A large portion of my day at the Armorer’s bench is devoted to fixing stuff done by folks that either didn’t have the proper tools, or didn’t know what they were doing, or both.

All of this is covered in-depth in my AR Builder’s Course. Next one is August 21 in Marietta.
Thanks, good info. I'm installing A2 flash hider and need to do about 300 degrees on the crush washer. Didn't know if that amount of potential torque would be harmful on the barrel extension if just using reaction rods so I thought maybe a specific vise jaw to grab onto the barrel might be a better idea. Thoughts?

Thanks, good info. I'm installing A2 flash hider and need to do about 300 degrees on the crush washer. Didn't know if that amount of potential torque would be harmful on the barrel extension if just using reaction rods so I thought maybe a specific vise jaw to grab onto the barrel might be a better idea. Thoughts?

Use a new crush washer, not a used one.

Lightly grease the barrel threads, both sides of the crush washer, and the back of the muzzle device where it rubs against the crush washer.

Secure the barrel/upper with a Geissele reaction rod or Midwest Ind URR.

You’ll be fine.

Happy to do it for you, or loan you the tools.

Bubba up..... I like that reference and will use it next time to formally share some knowledge from a Bubba!

Use a new crush washer, not a used one.

Lightly grease the barrel threads, both sides of the crush washer, and the back of the muzzle device where it rubs against the crush washer.

Secure the barrel/upper with a Geissele reaction rod or Midwest Ind URR.

You’ll be fine.

Happy to do it for you, or loan you the tools.
Appreciate the offer. I was able to install it. I overestimated how hard 300 (more like 330 in my case) degrees would be. It crushed quite smoothly through the entire range - I think the grease helped.

Back
Top Bottom