• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ar newbie questions

jastricker

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
192   0
Reaction score
I am looking at picking up a Black Friday ar, but I don’t know much about true quality/ value like a Honda versus an Acura. I am a single dad with no support from ex dead beat. Are radical arms decent rifles, is Ati the same company as American tactical. I am looking for .556 and eventually .300blk which I read uses the same mags; but how can a 220 grain .300blk round fit in a mag that fits 45-60grain .556 rounds and feed them well. Also do .223 mags hold and feed 5.56 ammo( I am aware that 5.56 rifles will shoot .223 but not the other way around. Any help on this busy day is much appreciated, now that the divorce is over and my cash flow is getting close to positive I will be giving some stuff away on here line I used to. Also I keep reading differing info on if my 7.62x51 can shoot .308 safely or is it the other way around?

ATI is American Tactical Imports. Radical gets mixed reviews. Some people get by good with them, others have issues. Member on here has one for $375 with a PSA upper. As long as he assembled the lower correctly from the kit, I personally would take it over either of the brands you mentioned (even if the others have a freefloat rail on them.) But this is just my opinion.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-ar-15-375.2088139/

On your .308 question. .308 is loaded a little hotter than 7.62x51, but the manufacturer of my LR308 said it was ok to shoot it in my rifle. Don't know who made yours, but try their website.

.223 and 5.56 ammo work in the same mags. No problem

As to AR qualities...that depends on what you want to do with your AR, how long you want to keep it and what kind of use and abuse you expect it to endure. If your like the average AR buyer and you intend to plink with it and shoot a few hundred rounds a year, than it really doesn’t matter which AR you choose, most can fill that role.

If your gonna work, train or compete seriously with your AR or if you want your grandchild to be able to use this gun to save his life one day...you get what you pay for. There are reasons why some brands cost more. If you want a reliable accurate weapon that will withstand years of use and abuse , don’t just go buy a cheap AR. Do your research, there is a ton of good info buying an AR. Listen to guys who train and see thousands of rounds go through AR’s everyday. Don’t trust tactical internet ninjas who tell you their $350 AR is just as good as a “high-end” AR. For me I listen to special forces, swat team and instructors. On here cmshoot cmshoot is your guy

Pretty good advice so far. I would part on a few issues. Yes .300 and 5.55 fine in the same mag. .300 is made from a necked down .223 brass. The main difference in cost is the quality control and detail put into the manufacturing. For example a barrel may be cold hammer forged, chrome lined, stainless, one of several chemically treated methods. You should have an idea of what you want and why. Generally cold hammer forged, chrome lined is still the mil standard, however many would argue the newer chemically treated options are better and police and military are generally behind the times, yet they generally use time tested proven items. Next allthough the input of soldiers and sway / leo should not be ignored by any means their philosophy of use (POU) is generally very different from a civilian. That shows in both tactics and equipment. So there are many good things to be learned don't outsource your POU to someone because they have stripes and happen to be a fanboy of something. Hope this helps.

.223 and 5.56 ammo work in the same mags. No problem

As to AR qualities...that depends on what you want to do with your AR, how long you want to keep it and what kind of use and abuse you expect it to endure. If your like the average AR buyer and you intend to plink with it and shoot a few hundred rounds a year, than it really doesn’t matter which AR you choose, most can fill that role.

If your gonna work, train or compete seriously with your AR or if you want your grandchild to be able to use this gun to save his life one day...you get what you pay for. There are reasons why some brands cost more. If you want a reliable accurate weapon that will withstand years of use and abuse , don’t just go buy a cheap AR. Do your research, there is a ton of good info buying an AR. Listen to guys who train and see thousands of rounds go through AR’s everyday. Don’t trust tactical internet ninjas who tell you their $350 AR is just as good as a “high-end” AR. For me I listen to special forces, swat team and instructors. On here cmshoot cmshoot is your guy

This all the way. Figure out what you want the rifle to do will guide you in the direction of what to look at. If you have never played much with one, I would recommend going to the a range that has several styles to rent and shoot. An 18 AR with standard A2 front sight combo and polymer hand guards with carry handle does not handle like a 14.7 pinned weapon with a keymod or mlok handguard and flip up sights, or any combo in between. Folks that shoot will tell you that one will combination will fit you well, but even then there are variants that fit better than others. Shop around, you can get into a gun for 3 or 4 hundred dollars. For plinking, they are great. And a 3 or 4 hundred dollar AR will bring your money back pretty easy if you decide to upgrade or decide its not for you and you'd like to try the superior platform, the AK :cool:

I have been an chicom Ak guy for years, but I have an visable and Nv “red dot” that would be almost impossible to replace so I am hesitant to put it on an ultimak has tube rail due to heat. So, I was looking for a .300blk especially since it can quiet if things crazy in my lifetime, but will definitely be in my children’s lifetime. So, I do want something to stand the test of time. I was thinking of going to Cherokee gun and pawn for their $375 entry level ar per the Black Friday fluer this morning. Does it make more since to just buy another barrel or a whole new upper to take it to .300blk? I have taken a basic intro at class from cmshoot cmshoot a couple of years ago, but I can’t find the notes due to housing divorce issues. I think I am going to dip my toe in today and eventually get to something that will last generations. Last quest Pmag versus steel

Sounds like you’re looking for a long term gun.......something for if/when the SHTF.

In that case, I’d recommend A LOT more gun than the $375 entry-level special. If that’s all that you can afford right now, start buying parts. You can spread the purchases out over as long as it takes. Spreading the purchases out also allows you to take advantage of sales and deals. You’ve already got an AK, so no reason to rush into purchasing an AR. I’m happy to help you assemble it.

If a civilian is looking for a serious-use carbine, they will look for the same features in their rifles and carbines that the grunts and SWAT guys do; reliability and accuracy. Military/LE know that their firearms are for one use ONLY, so it’s gotta be accurate and reliable. Why would a civilian with a good head on their shoulders look for anything different?

I’m a huge PMag fan. Plenty of good steel mags out there, but hard to beat the PMag for features, cost, reliability, warranty, and weight.

Borrow a good AR and take a beginner’s AR class with it. You’ll find out what you like and don’t like about it. This will help you figure out what features you want in YOUR AR. I have several loaner AR’s for folks that train with me, and the next Intro to the AR classes are Nov 30 and Dec 16.

If money is tight then the last thing you want is to buy a bargain basement factory AR or someone's franken build. You will probably not be happy with them and will cost more in the long run to get them right. Scratch up a little more cash and pick up a Ruger or Smith and Wesson entry level AR. Much nicer carbines and there is resale value down the road if you want to sell it and move up the AR food chain some.

Not sure what your budget is, but Sons of liberty gun works is having a Black Friday special on thier patrol model. I believe it’s $799 and it’s a lot of gun for the money. Also geissele just released their duty rifles for $850. Comes with a excellent trigger, rail, Magpul stock, etc. They are new to the market but with it being Geissele, I would imagine they are going to be good to go. I purchased one of the super duty’s myself, a lot of gun for the money imo.

Back
Top Bottom