• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR question

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Sorry guys I feel like I ask alot of questions, but... this one is about AR's. So I understand they are comprised of an upper and a lower which seem to be interchangeable. What are the upper and lower? Are those the only two parts that you need to have a working ar? Can you mount different caliber barrels(uppers?) on to the same lower? who makes a decent entry level m4 style AR or at least the pieces to build one? Can I start out with a decent upper and lower and add or change parts over time? Are the guns pretty accurate? Any help or explanation anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have found the people on this site to be extremely helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. Thanks guys,
Caleb

The AR consists of two halves as you said, the upper and lower reciever.

The lower reciever is typically an aluminum shell with space for a trigger group, mag well, and buffer tube. The buffer tube often is where a stock attaches if the AR is a rifle. The upper reciever is where your chamber is located along with the barrel, bolt/carrier, charging handle and gas system.

The upper and lower simply piece together and lock in with push pins that are attached to the lower.

A standard lower (5.56) can accept a wide varity of uppers in different calibers like 5.7, 5.45, .22, 6.5, 6.8, 458 socom, etc. The big factor is if the round will fit through the mag well. That is why you can't have a .308 upper on a 5.56 lower.

Decent entry carbine? Buy once, cry once. Daniel Defense, BCM, Larue, Spikes, LMT, Larue, Stag, Colt, CMMG...

Build a lower yourself. Palmetto State Armory (.com) has everything you need on the cheap. Look at the 'MOE lower kit' that includes the stock and LEGO the thing together, it really takes minimal skill.

Kinda choppy explanations but I tried to pack in the info for you. Hopefully someone else will chime in and clarify.

Last edited:
I think ToroAzul said it pretty well. I would just like to add that the lower receiver is the part that BATFE considers to be the "gun".
IOW the lower must be bought from, or transferred through an FFL dealer and you fill out the 4473 form just like buying any other gun. The rest of the parts, upper, stock, buffer assembly, etc can be shipped straight to you, no paperwork involved on those parts.

I think ToroAzul said it pretty well.
I agree. Check out AR15.com. There is a lot of good info there. I looked at this site for about 3 months before my first build. This will give you an idea of what direction you want to go with your AR. I know, I changed my mind constantly on what type of build I was gonna do. They have a really good in depth "how to" section.

AR upper

i545.photobucket.com_albums_hh378_SPD107_DSCN2527.jpg

AR lower

[Broken External Image]:

I also agree to go to AR15.com. BUT.....DO NOT go to General Discussion and ask any technical question or you will be attacked by idiots who love to make fun of people. Go to the Technical Forums for all of your info.
I am a member there with the same user name as I have here (Furious). I have build dozens of ARs and I have worked on hundreds. Feel free to shoot me an IM or email if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
I think everything has been pretty much covered up above with maybe a few things to clarify or simplify the comments:

1) look into purchasing a good lower receiver locally as it is the part that's registered with the FFL. shipping one in isn't that hard but it's just easier to go and pick up a good quality lower that's built solid. take a look at AR Bunker in Newnan or 400 Jewelry and Pawn in Dawsonville depending upon what's close to you. Daniel Defense, LMT, or any of the other brands listed above are quality parts.

2) you can then buy any other accessories or even a whole upper receiver from wherever you find a good deal on the setup you want (barrel length, caliber, etc). if you want something besides a 223/5.56 then check to see if you need anything else to make it work (ie. if you go with a 6.8 SPC you need 6.8 specific magazines and bolt carrier group. 300 AAC blackout run on all the "stock" parts.

3) when looking at the Upper to put on your lower make sure it comes with everything you need, mainly the Bolt carrier group (BCG) and charging handle.

hope that helps. I bought my first lower separate and then the upper as it was hard to find the combo I wanted in one peice when I was looking. took me a few months to put mine together (LMT MRP). once I got one, then I bought a stripped lower and put that together, but still haven't decided on an upper to go with it. will probably get a CMMG 22lr upper once I find a good deal on one..

Back
Top Bottom