• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR Upper Assembly

FLGA

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
502   0
Reaction score
Looking for a smith local to Duluth, Alpharetta, John's Creek, Lawrenceville, Gwinnett.

I have (2) AR Uppers to be assembled. Assembled Upper Receiver, Barrel, Gas Block and Tube, Barrel Nut, Handguard, muzzle device.

I can "put these together" at home, but these particular uppers I would like professionally assembled to never fail.

Thank you,

If you have done an upper before you can do those and get the same results as anybody else can. Besides the results are going to be determined by the quality of the parts and not by any special majik hands putting them together. Just add a set of barrel nut shims to your parts collection and you will be able to anything as good as anyone else. The barrel nut shims come into play when you can't get the gas tube hole lined up with torque specs. When that happens you simply use the smallest shim you can until you get the barrel nut to fall into the right torque spec limitations. Put the gas block on straight and there you have it. Professionally done.

I have faith in you. You should too.

If you have done an upper before you can do those and get the same results as anybody else can. Besides the results are going to be determined by the quality of the parts and not by any special majik hands putting them together. Just add a set of barrel nut shims to your parts collection and you will be able to anything as good as anyone else. The barrel nut shims come into play when you can't get the gas tube hole lined up with torque specs. When that happens you simply use the smallest shim you can until you get the barrel nut to fall into the right torque spec limitations. Put the gas block on straight and there you have it. Professionally done.

I have faith in you. You should too.

THIS! Use quality tools and you'll do just fine. There is no magic or secret. Im not a builder, but I did watch Larry Potterfield build one from my room at the Holiday Inn Express then assembled my own that has not had any issues.

Thanks greg vess greg vess , BigMike BigMike

I've never had a gas block fail on any I've put together.

That's the only hesitation in my thought process.

I've never had one pinned before. Overkill ?
Yeah I believe that's the sticking point on a lot of would be builders is the gas block. I just take a little sharp punch and score the point around the gas block perimeter to help center it. Well I use to anyway. I can just look at the gas tube and get it right. Also in the upper look at the little bit of gas tube in there and look see if it equal distance from both sides. Between those two little tricks I don't think you can really miss that often.

Yeah I believe that's the sticking point on a lot of would be builders is the gas block. I just take a little sharp punch and score the point around the gas block perimeter to help center it. Well I use to anyway. I can just look at the gas tube and get it right. Also in the upper look at the little bit of gas tube in there and look see if it equal distance from both sides. Between those two little tricks I don't think you can really miss that often.

Thank you sir

Back
Top Bottom