• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AR woes

The first thing I would try is to change the extractor spring to a heavy duty with a o ring. I had to change mine when I went to a 10.5 barrel.

Try the lower on another upper to see if it cycles correctly. If so - the issue is the short upper.
If not - may be the buffer being too light.
Also use brass ammo to check it as I have found Russian ammo varies all over the spec.
If the chamber is tight crap ammo will mess things up.
Tried running Russian at the MGS in my 16s and always bang, click click.
If you were closer we could swap some uppers to check and see what works.

Last edited:
I dont have another upper or lower to run. Thinking about investing in a DD MK18 upper now.

I've only used brass cased ammo. Its 5.56 and the barrel is supposedly 5.56 as well.

Double check you gas key. I had a similar problem with my 10.5 pistol and it ended up being that the gas key was loose. I went through changing out buffer springs and different buffers, cleaning, re-assembling and nothing worked. I had a new Aim Surplus NiB bolt carrier group and the gas key looked like it was properly staked. Well it wasn't. Tightened it up and was good to go. Good luck.

Lazarus Lazarus

Couple of questions.
How long has it been since you cleaned the chamber?
If you stand the complete bolt carrier group upright, with the bolt facing down and extended, does the weight of the carrier cause it to collapse?

Also, you need to step up the buffer weight. H2 at a minimum and could probably jump up to an H3.

Forgot about this post. So I went shooting a couple weeks ago and only brought the SBR and some tools because I wanted to tune the gas block thinking that maybe that had something to do with it. Got to the range and it shoots fine for the first couple of rounds and then went into semi auto mode. One of the guys at the range wanted to look at it and immediately he figured out what was wrong. Since I had the rail off he could see that the gas block and gas tube wasn't lined up with the port in the barrel. By the time he saw it l, it was total maligned but I'm guessing had been steady working it's way out of alignment which is why I was getting intermittent issues previous trips out with it. He aligned the parts and tightened everything up and it runs perfect now

Back
Top Bottom