• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AR woes

OK. I had to read the OP a couple of times to be sure I understood what was going on. I was mentally stuck on the original stuck case issue. Sorry, I'm still working on my first cup of coffee.

That's a pretty classic gas issue. Obviously due to the gas block shifting and cutting off the gas flow. As kaotiktribe mentioned, dimpling the barrel for set screws is strongly recommended. I'd also clean / degrease the screws and GB threads and apply red loctite to be sure they stay put.

On a 10.5 with a suppressor, I'd still recommend an H2 buffer. But if you're not having extraction issues, that's your call.

Yea I wasn't 100% of what was going on in the beginning. My first trip out I was getting some double feed malfunctions and to me and my limited knowledge that seems like it would be an extraction issue since the gun obviously have enough gas to cycle the action. I'm glad I had this problem though because I did a lot of research on gas, the adjustable gas block that I have, that I'm not 100% sure it works as marketed, the bolt carrier gas ring test, and just the functionality of the rifle has been made clearer to me.

Yea I wasn't 100% of what was going on in the beginning. My first trip out I was getting some double feed malfunctions and to me and my limited knowledge that seems like it would be an extraction issue since the gun obviously have enough gas to cycle the action. I'm glad I had this problem though because I did a lot of research on gas, the adjustable gas block that I have, that I'm not 100% sure it works as marketed, the bolt carrier gas ring test, and just the functionality of the rifle has been made clearer to me.

Double feeds are an extraction issue, usually tied to over gassing or too little extractor tension. Troubleshooting an issue like this is a heck of a way to intimately understand the cycle of function.

Double feeds are an extraction issue, usually tied to over gassing or too little extractor tension. Troubleshooting an issue like this is a heck of a way to intimately understand the cycle of function.

Yea I know that extractor is a sign of overgassing, thats why I started tinking with gas block. I did find that the adjustment screw seems really far out. I'm glad I went to the range to tune is because I had the rail off and the guy was able to see right away what was wrong. Its a new upper, new bcg so I wasn't thinking that the extractor was the issue but you never know.

You're right, probably not the extractor. What gas block did they use? Since it's adjustable, you should be able to compensate for the over gassing, even on a short suppressed upper.

Once you get the gas block properly installed, I'd dial the gas down until the rifle short strokes without the suppressor installed. Then, open it back up until it locks on empty. That will ensure function with or without the suppressor and minimize back pressure when the can is installed.

Every time Romi posts that, I wonder if he thinks that's what I look like!
maxresdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom