• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Arabic Language Tutor In West Ga/Atlanta?

Ok, ok I’ll post in English.
I’m wrapping up my second semester of Arabic right now (final exam is tonight).

Arabic is a tough language. 26 people started the year last semester, there will be 4 of us taking the final tonight.

Duo lingo isn’t even worthy of being called a dumpster fire in regards to its Arabic program. I can’t imagine trying to learn this language without a skilled instructor.

My school has an elementary Arabic class this summer with my instructor and it’s online. He’s awesome….PhD in Arabic linguistics from Al-Azhar, taught at Georgetown and Harvard. …but, you’d have to hate yourself a lot to try that in a summer semester.

My brother has spent four years immersed in Irbil training Kurds. He can get by in Kurdish but knows very little Iraqi Arabic. Says it's really difficult.
I knew many people who'd been through years of intense study of modern standard Arabic (MSA) and were immediately befuddled with the Iraqi dialect. I guess they don't sound like Al Jazeera broadcasters, which is what a lot of the classroom is geared toward, I heard. I don't speak Arabic.

I‘ve been looking around for a language tutor for a while and haven’t found anything. Does anyone speak fluent Arabic or know of anyone who does that would tutor?
I too have found it easier to communicate with mail order brides if you speak the language…

My brother has spent four years immersed in Irbil training Kurds. He can get by in Kurdish but knows very little Iraqi Arabic. Says it's really difficult.
The Kurdish dialects are all indo-European so things like sentence structure are all very similar. Indo-European languages tend to follow the Subject-Verb-Object pattern. Arabic prefers verb-subject-object ie, instead of ‘John ****ed a monkey’ Arabic would say ‘****ed John a monkey’
(I don’t know the verb for ****ed or monkey….)
But even that isn’t 100%. In first person, SVO is the preferable, but in a lot of cases, you can just use verb-object because verb conjugations are so specific that the subject can be easily inferred.

I knew many people who'd been through years of intense study of modern standard Arabic (MSA) and were immediately befuddled with the Iraqi dialect. I guess they don't sound like Al Jazeera broadcasters, which is what a lot of the classroom is geared toward, I heard. I don't speak Arabic.
Yeah, there are something like 30 recognized dialects and some of them can be very different from MSA. Misri and khaleesi (Egypt and gulf) stay fairly close to MSA and they both have fairly educated populaces that will be fine conversing in MSA, but the Egyptians have some pronunciation differences that can be problematic.

Reactions: GFB
Many years ago we had neighbors who spoke Persian (Farsi). They attempted unsuccessfully to teach us a few words and phrases. It was next level difficult compared to Spanish or German.

Many years ago we had neighbors who spoke Persian (Farsi). They attempted unsuccessfully to teach us a few words and phrases. It was next level difficult compared to Spanish or German.
Persian is indo-European as well, it’s really just a matter of learning vocabulary, possessive rules, and the way that basically the entire rest of the world uses adjectives.

Yeah, there are something like 30 recognized dialects and some of them can be very different from MSA. Misri and khaleesi (Egypt and gulf) stay fairly close to MSA and they both have fairly educated populaces that will be fine conversing in MSA, but the Egyptians have some pronunciation differences that can be problematic.
Forgot to add, Yemen isn’t gulf…..it’s complicated, and Yemeni Arabic is weird.

This is my life for the next few hours until the exam starts.
2CBF5B91-936D-4633-B5FB-5730DBD8336E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom