Archery - Bow Hunting For New hunters....

I am thinking about getting a bow. My brother has a unbelievable piece of property in Roswell, GA. Bow only as you know since its Fulton County. We have seen old and young bucks and lots of does.

We already have a ladder stand set up and camera - Another Buddy hunts after work....I would go before work.

My question is what is a solid rig? Set/up. I DO Not want to spend a zillion bucks...

I am sure there are other hunters on here as well who would love all the info we can get.

I do rifle hunt my butt off but never with a bow.

THANK YOU ODT!
http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...1007r/bear-attitude-ready-to-hunt-bow-package

Personally, I'm not a fan of crossbows, but have nothing against anyone who chooses to use one. As far as using a bow, there are quite a few things to learn before hitting the woods. The first thing is figuring out your draw length and a draw weight your comfortable with. The second thing is arrow selection. You have to make sure whatever arrows you choose are proper weight and stiffness for your bow and draw weight. The third thing is learning good form and practicing so you can improve your accuracy and get comfortable shooting at different distances and angles.

Bowhunting can be very addictive. I usually bow hunt most of gun season now and almost never hunt with a rifle anymore.

Don't go all out; a good used bow kills a deer just like a new one will. Just like the previous comments mentioned its all in your setup. Correct draw arrow length and all the fine tuning but you will be addicted. PS I still shoot a Mathews solo cam that's almost 20 yrs old. When you get that first bow kill you will drop the guns!!!!!!

I don't know if this link will work just added it to show you that any bow can hit the target with practice and the right set up. Remember its a 20 yr old bow so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the young whipper snappers like.....

Last edited:
Don't waste your time with reviews... Just look at the excaliburs and go get one.
330+ feet per second.
Ask anyone here that owns one.

I like mine better than the ten point I sold.
I have heard the same thing from friends about the ten points are they that bad ?

Get a crossbow.
Like a rifle and super easy to use, low maintenance , deadly.

This if you want to hunt now and aren't practiced with a compound bow yet

Be careful. Bow hunting is addictive. I shoot a diamond Marquis that I love! It's a 2009 model but it still shoots awesome. I have a Matthews Outback complete hunting rig I will make you a killer deal on. Just shoot me a message of you are interested

Excalibur.
Easiest bow to shoot, maintain and restring.
Deadly accurate, extremely durable for years and years.

ALL OF THE ABOVE. GET AN EXCALIBUR AND YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT.

Don't go all out; a good used bow kills a deer just like a new one will. Just like the previous comments mentioned its all in your setup. Correct draw arrow length and all the fine tuning but you will be addicted. PS I still shoot a Mathews solo cam that's almost 20 yrs old. When you get that first bow kill you will drop the guns!!!!!!

I don't know if this link will work just added it to show you that any bow can hit the target with practice and the right set up. Remember its a 20 yr old bow so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the young whipper snappers like.....
Wow what a shot. Great video!

I have heard the same thing from friends about the ten points are they that bad ?

No ,
The ten points are awesome crossbows.
They are just very heavy yet smaller than the recurve Excalibur.
It
Takes
A bit of getting used to the variable setting scope (forget the correct name for it) but you
Can set it for different distances with a lever that locks in place once set.... Mainly
For when a deer is right under you.
They are accurate bows but restringing requires shop support.
My buddy now owns my ten point and loves it although his only complaint is the sheer weight of it.
Other than that he is very happy since he figured out how to use the scope functions and lock it in place.
He's taken several deer with the ten point but for me the simplicity of the Excalibur can't be beat.
What other crossbow can you drop 25' from a tree, land upside down on the scope and still shoot dead accurate?
Can restring in one minute, can recock in the tree with some practice.
The only thing I would love is if it were more quiet as it is pretty loud when it lets go and any efforts to silence it with stick on buffers and fuzzy things on the strings will slow the speed.
Compound bows are definitely lighter, smaller and more quiet yet take much more
Practice.
Like anything, each have their differences and I can fully
Appreciate a good compound bow.
They sure make some fancy ones these days.

Back
Top Bottom