• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are the police tracking you? Push to restrict license plate readers heads to Va. Supreme Court

There already is a similar device, it's clear so it doesn't obstruct view of the plate, but if something tries to photograph or video it, it won't show up, I forget how it does it but some kind of filter thing. I will try and find it.

I think it was Mythbusters or Top Gear who did a test a while ago on devices to defeat the readers. None of them worked.

image.trucktrend.com_f_9394750_w660_h495_q80_re0_cr1_ar0_0802s183b574634c26402ef834e8e0b3b5c6f.jpg

go low tech, recessed plate high up and with a plexi screen, hard to recognize for the auto readers
Is that why some people with perfectly fine bumpers put them in their rear window?

I see them now installing them on UNMARKED cars and going around hotels and business

That's already being done. The unmarked unit then calls for a marked unit to do the follow up.

In one of the leading cases in Georgia, a woman who was doing nothing at all illegal was stopped and searched because the tag scanner showed her car had been driven by her gang banger nephew a week or so earlier. It was clear to the cop that "she" was not "he" -- but the court permitted the stop and search, establishing "guilt by association."

I have heard that there are now also private companies that drive around gathering licenses plate data, apparently there is a market for it.

. . who was doing nothing at all illegal was stopped and searched because the tag scanner showed her car had been driven by her gang banger nephew a week or so earlier.

Yeah, I'm not buying that one - at least not that version - that's not "how things work"; as in, your license plate doesn't keep track of who's butt is/was in the driver's seat. Seriously?

These threads make me laugh because to me this is similar to the the "I'm scared of assault AR15s". Big, black, visible, have no clue how it actually works, and is bad because "I heard". If a license plate reader alerts on your tag - you're already on a list. Beyond that, some of you think way to highly of yourselves and the "government's" need to track you. If they wanted you that bad there are simplier ways I promise. I would think people would be more concerned about how Google maps knows that traffic is backing up on a two lane county road - talk about being tracked. But like everything else, the big scary unknowns in plain view is what gets the attention.

https://medium.com/mtracey/new-york...info-are-belong-to-us-b8224e2e22a9#.ee7s53n20

"This sounds like the stuff of a dystopian prison state, not a benign toll-collection program:

At each crossing, and at structurally sensitive points on bridges and tunnels, advanced cameras and sensors are being installed to read license plates, regardless of lighting conditions or the vehicle’s speed. Every vehicle that passes through a MTA bridge or tunnel will have their license place scanned, and the technology will instantly cross-check the vehicle’s license plate number with the list of suspended registrations and send an alarm to the on-duty Trooper and Bridge and Tunnel Officers in a matter of seconds."

Back
Top Bottom