• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Armadillos in the North Georgia Mountains??????????

It would have to be survival situation to eat one of them, we always just left them where they laid.

I wouldn't eat one either. I was just addressing the fear of leprosy complaints. It's pretty rare for people to catch leprosy from armadillos...maybe 100-150 cases a year? Incidentally, ONLY Humans and armadillos can catch it. Someone got some "engineered" lab mice to grow it on their foot pads..but that's not a natural occurrence. If you touch one or their feces, wash your hands. Avoid inhaling dried excrement (not as difficult as you might think in certain situations)...Times have changed since the "lepper colonies" days. Now, it's easily cured with antibiotics...as is the syphilis that is the likely suspect for actual massive pass outbreaks. Like the armadillo's low body temp, we also have areas of low body temp suitable for the bacteria's incubation. Our extremities are our weak/cool points. finger tips, toes and around our nostrils are the main points of infection. It appears as dry patches of skin on infected areas. If something like that persists and you've been in contact with armadillos, it would be a good idea to seek treatment.

I wouldn't eat one either. I was just addressing the fear of leprosy complaints. It's pretty rare for people to catch leprosy from armadillos...maybe 100-150 cases a year? Incidentally, ONLY Humans and armadillos can catch it. Someone got some "engineered" lab mice to grow it on their foot pads..but that's not a natural occurrence. If you touch one or their feces, wash your hands. Avoid inhaling dried excrement (not as difficult as you might think in certain situations)...Times have changed since the "lepper colonies" days. Now, it's easily cured with antibiotics...as is the syphilis that is the likely suspect for actual massive pass outbreaks. Like the armadillo's low body temp, we also have areas of low body temp suitable for the bacteria's incubation. Our extremities are our weak/cool points. finger tips, toes and around our nostrils are the main points of infection. It appears as dry patches of skin on infected areas. If something like that persists and you've been in contact with armadillos, it would be a good idea to seek treatment.
That's pretty cool man, thanks for the info. I guess I will do my best never to touch one!

Armadillos Suck!

I didn't know they had made it all the way to the mountains.

I have seen a couple in the road north of Fayetteville, but I don't go much further north than that usually.

Someone ought to really encourage hunting the **** out of these bastards. I wouldn't touch or eat one, but they are fun to shoot! (I just don't know much about strategy for getting them to come out.)

They are really spreading fast. When I was young, I think I saw my first 'dillo around Cochran. Then around Statesboro, but never any closer than that (until about the last 10 years.)

I knew it was only a matter of time. I first seen the nasty armadillo at the Redlands WMA about 6 or 7 years ago. After that, I knew it was only a matter of time before they would be up in the mountains. I travel to NW Arkansas and they have been there for some time so it's not a matter of climate, just a migration issue.
Today, I was coming home from a scouting trip on the Chattahoochee WMA. About a mile south of Cleveland Ga., on Hwy. 129, I saw him. I actually turned around and went back to confirm it. Yep, it was a roadkill armadillo.
Anybody else from North Georgia seen one?

I have seen several up that way myself. I wonder what is prompting the migration?

Never mind my last question

Around 1980, in the terminal at Kadena AFB, or maybe it was Osan AFB, there used to be a donation box for a leper colony. Only they called it Hansen's disease. Anybody remember it?

Back
Top Bottom