• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Armor Piercing" 338 Lapua

It turns out that Lehigh Defense now makes the Bore Tech bullet I was looking for. It's 245 grains, made from solid bar stock and is not a hollow point. BINGO!
They also make in my opinion the best sub 30 cal expansion bullet, on the market. I use them for my sub 300 blackout hunting loads, using a suppressor.

not-atf-30154975.png

This thread has turned educational, as to the question of the legality of somebody making their own armor piercing ammunition by turning down steel or brass rods or otherwise literally building their own bullets and hand loading them into cases.

I see that the definition of armor piercing ammunition includes the bullets even as a standalone component. Thanks, gh1950.

I see the prohibition on building armor piercing bullets applies to all people, not just persons engaged in the business of manufacturing ammunition. So it seems that if you build some AP bullets just for your own personal handloading use, you would still be violating the law ....if....
... if The projectiles you were building were suitable for use in a handgun I don't think that would apply to a 50 BMG.

But what about a 338 Lapua magnum?

Are those .338" bullets suitable for use in other cartridges,
and are some of those other cartridges commonly used for handguns?
Particularly the Thompson-Center Contender or Encore pistols?

I didn't think so, but a quick Google search turned up this article by the American rifleman magazine. Apparently there are other factory handgun loads that use 338 caliber bullets and are suitable for use in guns like the Thompson contender.

So, it sounds legally risky to build your own armor piercing bullets in 338 caliber, although I doubt the feds would try to prosecute you if you have no other guns, and no reloading supplies for any other cartridge that could use those bullets .338" buillets, EXCEPT The .338 Lapua Magnum,
which is clearly not a handgun cartridge,
not even for a single shot long range hunting handgun like the T/C ones.

Back
Top Bottom