"ASP-isize" a S&W 4516

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
So, the recent thread on the Glock modification of a clear panel in the grip got me thinking about the ASP- and Devel-modified S&W 39's.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASP_pistol

http://www.guns.com/2013/05/28/the-asp-9-the-coolest-gun-you-never-heard-of/

I wanted a facsimile pretty bad years ago. I was planning on buying a S&W 3913 "Ladysmith" and modifying it to something similar. Closer to the Devel than the ASP, as I prefer standard sights to the "Guttersnipe" system.

I haven't done a custom build/mod in quite a while........no time for the most part. I used to build 1911's but quite years ago. When I need 1911 work done, I pay John Harrison and count is money VERY well-spent.

Anyways, now I'm thinking of the ASP/Devel again, but I've got a nice G19. I've always wanted a S&W 4516, so what if I combine the features of the ASP/Devel with the S&W 4516/457/457S?

Now, the hunt for a good deal on a loaner S&W 4516 / 457 / 457S........

I had a 4516 one time. Nice size and dependable gun, but I wasn't accurate with it. Still one of my favorites.

Got the plans in mind.

NP3 Plus on frame and internals.

IonBond on slide.

Trijicon sights. I'll modify the rear sight with more aggressive "hook" on the front side.

Stipple front strap.

Remove magazine disconnect.

Seriously considering the window in the grips, along with corresponding windows in the magazines. The thicker Hogue rubber grip may be a better candidate than the factory plastic. Another candidate would be one of the varieties of exotic hardwoods from Hogue.

I'll probably run a 7rd 4516 magazine in the gun with 2 8rd 4506 magazines on my belt.

With the 3rd Gen compact S&W's, there's little work to do. S&W copied quite a few of the features of the ASP when designing firearms such as the 3913. I haven't owned a 3rd Gen S&W in a long time and am looking forward to it. Great triggers and very accurate.

Been seriously considering going back to a DA/SA for off-duty use, as my duty gun is also DA/SA.

If your gonna do this project, you might as well do one set of grips and a few mags with the window treatment. You can always keep another set of grips without the windows to switch back and forth.

Oh, I'm sure I'll end up with plenty of spare parts! I usually do.

I like the thought of some stippled wood grips with the clear window. If I do, I'll probably put the window in the left panel only.

Oh, I'm sure I'll end up with plenty of spare parts! I usually do.

I like the thought of some stippled wood grips with the clear window. If I do, I'll probably put the window in the left panel only.

With the popularity of these past designs, I'm surprised the performance center hasn't come out with a similar project. Wood grips with a window would look great, especially with the NP3 color to offset the wood.

Back
Top Bottom