• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

At what point does an Ar lower become classified as a pistol/rifle?

DownSouthMach

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
77   0
Reaction score
I am unclear on how that works.

Looking to build an AR Pistol and have another lower coming in soon.

Do I just build it, and that is what it is? or is there paperwork somewhere i don't know about lol

When you buy it the paper work needs to be done as if buying a pistol I believe.

Not true. The current 4473 forms transfer a receiver as a 'receiver' which can then be used to build either a pistol or a rifle. (Which is why the 18-21 age group cannot buy receivers through FFLs.)

What you build it into the first time determines if it's a pistol or rifle.

Not logical, but that's the way the BATFE seems to be interpreting things these days.

I have taken to registering every lower I get as a pistol and I have long since built every one of them up AS a pistol the first time it goes together. This helps keep me in the clear if I ever want to change it over.

I will say that if a lower was first fitted as a rifle (with a butt stock, not a pistol tube) it CANNOT be built up as a pistol later without the time comsuming $200 SBR stamp. (Go team BATFE!)

It is a big grey (and really silly) area in the law.
Why you would need special permissions to make a gun shorter than 16" is all just antiquated and nonsense.
Like somehow a fellow with a 12" AR RIFLE is going to be up to a whole lot more mischief than a fellow with a 12" AR PISTOL.
It is really zero difference in OAL between the two with the stock collapsed.
Just silliness.

Not true. The current 4473 forms transfer a receiver as a 'receiver' which can then be used to build either a pistol or a rifle. (Which is why the 18-21 age group cannot buy receivers through FFLs.)

What you build it into the first time determines if it's a pistol or rifle.

Not logical, but that's the way the BATFE seems to be interpreting things these days.

Truth!

Not logical? It makes perfect sense if you slowly want to erode "will not be infringed" by pointless babble and double talk in order to infringe and move ever closer to an outright ban, but only of "non-suitable" weapons as determined by the courts.

I have taken to registering every lower I get as a pistol and I have long since built every one of them up AS a pistol the first time it goes together. This helps keep me in the clear if I ever want to change it over.

I will say that if a lower was first fitted as a rifle (with a butt stock, not a pistol tube) it CANNOT be built up as a pistol later without the time comsuming $200 SBR stamp. (Go team BATFE!)

Maybe he means he's having them transferred to him as a pistol by the dealer?

Also, I don't think you can legally make a pistol from a rifle, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. On the other hand you can build a pistol into a rifle without any paperwork as long as barrel and overall length meet guidelines. You can then convert it back without paperwork as well. (again, if I'm wrong please correct me) So I do see the logic of having your lowers listed as pistols on any purchase paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom