• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What a 308 does to a steel plate at 300 yards.

I have 3/8" thick AR500 STEEL plates and I've hit them with a bunch of .308, .243 Win (100 grain SP)
and 7.62 x 54R from 100 and 200 yds.

That is certainly NOT an "AR 500" plate.

Looks like regular construction and fabrication grade steel a welding shop might have on hand.
I believe we have gotten to the point where we have decided it isn't. Anyway bullets bounce of trash cans in the movies so It must be some ++++++++++++++++P AMMO. 🤭

I did have a 500 plate(1/2" as I remember) that was penetrated by a Weatherby .257 at around 100 yards....I will state that the plate withstood other ammo similar to photo's here...the .257 Weatherby did go through....maybe it hit a previous strike....I would have no way of knowing that...it was a long time ago, and I have no way today, to debate the questions, and statements that will obviously follow...

My AR500 Target in my backyard. 147ge .308 at 50yds.
20240317_145229.jpg

Reactions: GFB
'minds me of the time I went to show my son in law 'bought shootin steel...bough 20 yards off. an since my ol sks was handy I pulled her out. Well as you might guess I didn't think about the cheap steel core ammo I'd loaded. Near everyone on that porch learned about frag that day, fortunately nothing serious.

I talked to him and he clarified that the big plate was indeed mild steel. He is the auto shop foreman for Butwiper beer and cut it himself. It's the smaller plates that are AR500 Steel. He just cut the big one to save money.

Back
Top Bottom