• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF Busts E-Bay Dumbass

I want to see every atf agent involved attach it to a firearm and fire it without hearing protection indoors, then decide if it's a silencer...

That's not the test for a complete silencer, and certainly not for a silencer part or component.

Silencer parts like a monocore ARE, by federal law definition, SILENCERS themselves, even without being assembled, even when they don't reduce the sound by a single decibel for the lack of a tube.

That's not the test for a complete silencer, and certainly not for a silencer part or component.

Silencer parts like a monocore ARE, by federal law definition, SILENCERS themselves, even without being assembled, even when they don't reduce the sound by a single decibel for the lack of a tube.
atf has some strange regulations, but they can translate the law as they go along though in different ways

Link to federal law (statutory law, passed by Congress) on the definition of a silencer. (Which is one kind of NFA "firearm").
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...on-firearms-national-firearms-act-definitions

The new expanded definition of silencer is not from ATF's own rule making, but from Congress' statutory law per the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986. Rules and internal Agency policies can be used to determine when a part is a silencer part vs. a gun part like a muzzle break (or a bloop tube on a target rifle).

Agencies like ATF are considered experts on guns, gun accessories, the real-world use (and criminal misuse) of gun parts. Courts will give federal agencies' opinions great weight and deference.

So I wonder how many guys who have never even heard of a "monocore" and have no idea how a suppressor works that were looking to reduce recoil, bought an ugly bastage of a "muzzle brake" online, and are now afoul of the ATF without knowing.
To be honest, I consider myself a little more astute than the average gun owner, and pretty knowledgeable about firearms and their accessories. I have never played with NFA items and tax stamps or tried to pursue one mainly because I figure it's probably a huge hassle and it costs cash to jump through the hoops.
The darn thing looks like a brake to me and I had never even heard of a "monocore" prior to this post, If I did it was uneventful and I didn't think enough to remember anything about it. I had certainly never seen so many images of one. I do however have quite a few rifles with different styles of brakes on them, though fortunately not one of the pictured ones, and love the recoil reduction they provide.

So I wonder how many guys who have never even heard of a "monocore" and have no idea how a suppressor works that were looking to reduce recoil, bought an ugly bastage of a "muzzle brake" online, and are now afoul of the ATF without knowing.
As stated by HydroAuto on the first page-
tracked down this guy's account on ebay, he sold at least 300 of those things this year.

Let's run this one up the flagpole a bit.

1. Does he sell kits to turn this into a suppressor? Does not appear to be easy from the item pictured.
2. If so, how would a tube attach? If you need a welder, that is more effort than say owning a hack saw and saying that you own multiple SBR's because with minor modifications, your rifle could be turned into an SBR.
3. From purely looks, it looks like an asinine muzzle break. It has the shape and contours of many muzzle brakes currently on the market - just stupidly long. I'm sure no-one here has seen stupid ass gun accessories before.
4. It does not look like a monocore to me. The volume would be horrendous. It looks like a stupidly long brake.

Now, this guy does has a past. I get that, and the pic provided may not be what he was arrested for, other information may not have been provided to us common folk, etc (shocker that you can't trust media). My personal belief is that there is more to the story.

If the item pictured is what he was arrested for, then every gun owner needs to be very concerned. I'm sure most of us own a hack saw. That could be considered intent if this is upheld. Or you have an Ar pistol and a rifle and could swap uppers, or swap the stock on the pistol, or move a VFG from a rifle to a pistol - AR pistol, or any of the multiple pistols that have a pic rail on the frame. Oh wait, what about all of those other muzzle brakes? They could all be a suppressor with the same amount of modification as that thing pictured. Anyone own an SKS and have an extra zip tie laying around?

Back
Top Bottom