• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF new “rule” for no firearm Transaction without background check

lol...that guy knew exactly what he was doing and the new clarification of the same rule would have made no difference, other than maybe getting him arrested earlier.. I do believe that the timing of the serving of this warrant was actually to spell out and give an example of the new interpretation, but it went sideways on them and they can't use it now.

If you read the warrant affidavit and then look at the explanations of the interpretation of the rule...its almost like spelling it out for somebody..

His case was supposed to be an example, but it didn't work out the way they planned.
No, I’m afraid it went exactly as planned.

No, I’m afraid it went exactly as planned.
I'm gonna go with they were planning to indict and arrest him very close to the announcement of this rule interpretation knowing that where he worked would make the store of interest to news agencies and it would all wrap up in a big bow.

They were just serving the search warrant, they had no arrest warrant yet, I think they wanted that indictment to be timed with this rule interpretation. But it could go either way.

Everyone has Marco Rubio to thank for this, since he is the sponsor of the bill that got the ball rolling on this.

The language directing them to define who is in the business and to further clarify is right in the bill. I'm not sure how the court challenges are going to go on this one since on the face of it...Congress did do it..

The answer for now is don't be 'in the business' without an FFL or they will probably come knocking to make an example.

You can bet folks that rent tables at gun shows repeatedly will be in the cross-hairs. I'm sure flippers on here will be a target as well, although that only seems to be common during a panic.

One thing I could see being different though is if you get tied to a 'crime gun'. That could make you enough of a target for them to use all these new 'presumptions' to investigate you.

That's bad enough, but the recent Arkansas raid shows how easily ATF lets a simple search warrant service go sideways.

I do think most of it is both vague and overbroad, but it will take years to get any fix from the courts, so unless we have a House/Senate and POTUS next election willing to address this in law these new rules are probably here to stay.
Tough as long as RINOs like Lindsey Graham are still in office.

Yup, according to the Library or Congress, it was sponsored by Marco Rubio (R). The 'bipartisan' part came because Chris Murphy (D) signed on when it was amended.

Back
Top Bottom