• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF new “rule” for no firearm Transaction without background check

And, this piece of filth wanted to run the ATF:
View attachment 7129586

FB_IMG_1678342576250.jpg

I am so glad that my collection is complete. I would hate to be buying or selling anything these days.

In the past if I'd found a better condition or more collectible MILSURP (lower serial number, better markings, better bore or cartouche), I'd have sold the old one at market rate. A Garand bought 10 years ago for $500 would be worth over $1,000 today but this rule COULD make the seller a criminal. You might get off but bankrupted in legal costs.

If I decided I wanted a Sig 716i instead of my Ruger SFAR I would need to wait a year to sell the Ruger.

I am out of the game.

I am so glad that my collection is complete. I would hate to be buying or selling anything these days.

In the past if I'd found a better condition or more collectible MILSURP (lower serial number, better markings, better bore or cartouche), I'd have sold the old one at market rate. A Garand bought 10 years ago for $500 would be worth over $1,000 today but this rule COULD make the seller a criminal. You might get off but bankrupted in legal costs.

If I decided I wanted a Sig 716i instead of my Ruger SFAR I would need to wait a year to sell the Ruger.

I am out of the game.
Funny thing is that as a bona fide collector you are in the best position of anyone regarding this new rule... Especially if you have a C&R.

Almost none of the 'presumptions' would apply to someone in your position.

Here's another interesting piece of the rule... One of the 'exemptions' is that the guns you sell come from your 'personal collection'. I know I have lots of different types of guns in my 'personal collection', but the ATF seems to think that not all of them are...

---------

Whether a firearm is part of a personal collection or for a hobby depends on the kind and type of firearms and courts have also looked to the nature and purpose for which they are accumulated.

This is not to say individuals or companies cannot buy or sell firearms that are primarily for self-defense or protection of others under this rule.

It just means that those other personal firearms are not necessarily part of a “personal collection,” and persons who buy or sell such firearms cannot avail themselves of the statutory exception for personal collections in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(21)(C) unless the firearms are of a type and purpose to qualify as personal collection firearms.

To make this point clear, the definition of “personal collection” has been revised to state that “in addition, the term shall not include firearms accumulated primarily for personal protection: Provided, that nothing in this section shall be construed as precluding a person from lawfully acquiring firearms for self-protection or other lawful personal use.”

---------
So if you have a Glock Gen 5 or a SIG P320 as a bedside gun or an AR-15 in your truck and want to sell it, you can't say that it's part of your 'personal collection'.

The ATF can assume that you are an 'unlicensed dealer' and make you try and refute that in court because you are selling the wrong type of gun.

That is not at all what the new rule says. Don't believe every thing you hear. It is just clarifying what is and isn't a dealer for the most part. Not really much change from the way it is now. There is a multiple page thread on this already.
cool.. being a dealer you have any info? is it one gun a day, one gun a year, 3 half guns a decade, thinking about 1 gun on a Tuesday?? problem is it does not say. do we need to record with proof how much we paid and how much loss we took? if i buy a gun for 50 bucks, shoot it for 5 years, the sell it for $51 am i a dealer? whats a collection, who is a hobbyist?
we need to know what it is...
they pretty much just said its a federal felony to speed on hwy 42 near McDonough... but we are not setting the speed limit...
good luck....

Back
Top Bottom