• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Attack of the newbie with a side of spaz

Ledslinger

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
15   0
Reaction score
Ok here i go,
During the pre election gun buying bonanza, i hyped myself into a "tactical" model MINI 14
the one with the ATI stock. All the different AR types build kits and different brands of uppers
lowers and everything else involved was kind of intmidating. I wanted a whole rifle made by one company that I know, and I liked the looks its a little different. I own a few shotguns one cowboy sa revolver "ruger" and a nice 1022, that i put a midway bull barrel on with a sporter stock.
Nothing with ar or mini 14 complexity. Sooooo anyway I got the mini, thinking new, need to clean nonexistant packing grease. I watched and went step by step from ruger cleaning video except for the part where it said not to disassemble gas block, at first i thought i needed to, to drop the stock out but once it was loose i saw, it would have slid out. I did not loose the little hollow cylinder, sure theres a cool name for it. My dog sniffed it out, I do remember that the 4 allen bolts were not evenly torqued and one was very loose. So I promptly tightined the crap out of them. After reading, now disappointing reviews of this rifle I realized that these need a specific torque setting, 30 inch pounds, or it could affect accuracy and cycling of the next round. The rear 2 of the 4 bolts are blocked by the sling attachment, I have a good torque in. pound screwdriver, but its inaccessible. Went to new Gun club in paulding co. guy said, to shoot first round, see if it locks open, then shoot 2 in a row. He didnt act like their gunsmith had much experience with the mini 14, Im thinking i could find the correct tools and this.
If Im gonna pay to fix this, I want somebody who knows it inside and out, and maybe lighten up the trigger which i read is a good idea. Am i over thinking this. Havent had much time to mess with it, working alot.

Not what you'll want to hear but I had three Mini's back in the early to mid 1990's. Back when I KNEW that ALL AR pattern rifles were jammomatic pieces o' crap. I worked with, tweaked, shot and tinkered with my Mini's for several years, could never get acceptable accuracy out of any of them and tried EVERY after market mag on earth! NONE of them would run ANY brand of after market mag consistently, but all ran fine on Ruger Factory mags, which were EXPENSIVE at the time.

This was around the time of the AWB of 1994 and a regular Bushmaster was going for over a grand. My Mini's were around $350 to $400 a pop. This greatly influenced my choice in selecting a "semi auto, center fire, intermediate cartridge" platform.

Fast forward a decade, after I'd had occasions to actually HANDLE and SHOOT some AR's, my mindset began to change. Since around 2007, I now own NO Mini's, and a few AR's. AR's are cheap, reliable, ACCURATE and it's HARD to find a crappy AR mag and mags are CHEAP.

In short, IMHO, the Mini ship sailed long ago. Keep it and shoot it because nobody will give you anything for it but don't spend any money trying to get it "right". Just tighten those screws up till they're "bout right" and roll on.

Thanks, Im hoping to keep it a while, you think shooting it, the way the guy mentioned without "professional" examination is safe and wont damage it more.

Torque the ones that you can get your torque screwdriver on to spec, then the other ones "about the same". Torque gradually and in sequence, leaving an even gap all around. THIS THREAD has some good info that might help.

VERY HELPFULL! I think,.....i did overthink it a little. I guess ill have my year or more of tweaking and tinkering. I should not have lurked so long on ODT and asked for some advice on ar vs mini. , that new sa saint is just what i described i was looking for and its already pretinkered to my low newbie standards

Back
Top Bottom