Attention Law Enforcement Officers

Misuse of NCIC if not in the course of duty. Bottom line. If caught, you can lose your access at minimum and can be dismissed from your job.

Misuse of NCIC. Penalties for misuse include but are not limited to removal from NCIC access, Fines and removal from your job. No, it should not be done. It is ok however to contact the local SO or PD and have them run the numbers if they offer that service.

Running a number on a gun is not accessing personal info. All it says is if it is stolen or not. It doesn't matter if they are on duty or not because anyone can walk into a police department and ask them to run the numbers on the gun to see if it is stolen. Getting a stolen gun off the street is better than having it float around this website and all over the state for someones "Personal Gain" whether it be money or a dirty deed. And just maybe you all should praise this person because he may just locate a gun that may have been stolen from you and recover it so that it may be returned to you or the rightful owner. Officers who do that are just continuing to make this a better place to live. You all need to understand running serial numbers on a gun are totally different from car tags. Maybe you want to get caught with a stolen gun but not me. I hope everyone runs the serial numbers on the guns they get and that includes all officers on duty or off duty. Good luck to you who get caught with a stolen gun, its called theft by receiving and it doesn't matter if you knew it or not. Because you all have the right to walk in and get it checked and if it seems to good to be true, it usually is and that your own stupidity or greed. Support your law enforcement and not bash them. Yes there is good and bad in every profession but checking a serial number is a responsible thing not a misuse of power or authority.

The cop did his job and there was no personal gain. He just didn't want to receive stolen property. You don't get personal information off of running a gun. Its not like running tags. He did a good job and I'm proud of him. Everybody has the right to walk into a Police Department and ask to have a gun ran to see if it is stolen. There was no off duty misuse. Now if he was running car tags of vehicles at his girlfriends house to see who was over there then that would be misuse. Everybody check your numbers, Keep up the good work.

Running a number on a gun is not accessing personal info. All it says is if it is stolen or not. It doesn't matter if they are on duty or not because anyone can walk into a police department and ask them to run the numbers on the gun to see if it is stolen. Getting a stolen gun off the street is better than having it float around this website and all over the state for someones "Personal Gain" whether it be money or a dirty deed. And just maybe you all should praise this person because he may just locate a gun that may have been stolen from you and recover it so that it may be returned to you or the rightful owner. Officers who do that are just continuing to make this a better place to live. You all need to understand running serial numbers on a gun are totally different from car tags. Maybe you want to get caught with a stolen gun but not me. I hope everyone runs the serial numbers on the guns they get and that includes all officers on duty or off duty. Good luck to you who get caught with a stolen gun, its called theft by receiving and it doesn't matter if you knew it or not. Because you all have the right to walk in and get it checked and if it seems to good to be true, it usually is and that your own stupidity or greed. Support your law enforcement and not bash them. Yes there is good and bad in every profession but checking a serial number is a responsible thing not a misuse of power or authority.

The cop did his job and there was no personal gain. He just didn't want to receive stolen property. You don't get personal information off of running a gun. Its not like running tags. He did a good job and I'm proud of him. Everybody has the right to walk into a Police Department and ask to have a gun ran to see if it is stolen. There was no off duty misuse. Now if he was running car tags of vehicles at his girlfriends house to see who was over there then that would be misuse. Everybody check your numbers, Keep up the good work.

:pop2:

Last edited:
I want to see the LEO run the numbers of everything he buys used. It's theft by receiving regardless (right?) whether if it's a gun or a Nintendo DS for his kid. IT ALL HAS THE SAME % OF BEING STOLEN.

O I forgot GUNS are bad so they need to be discriminated against. Guns are people too. I am almost to the point where I find the word "gun" derogatory, I think we should call it personal protection device. Or is it only okay when a gun calls another gun, gun?

It's too dam early to type sarcastic humor (attempt at) and have it make sense. MOVE ALONG.

If you are the one running the NCIC query and you get a hit on a stolen gun, what do you do? Let it walk by not buying it? Confiscate it? Puts you in a quandry. Read the NCIC access regulations. If not in the official course of duty, then it is misuse. FBI is pretty clear on that.

Back
Top Bottom