• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Attention Law Enforcement Officers

Ok, after reviewing this further, I would be willing to bet that OK Steves trade buddy called dispatch and have THEM run the number. I just spoke with another member who is in LE and he said personal use of GCIC is OFF LIMITS and officers have been fired over such.

I think OK Steves situation was probably handled correctly.

Okay, so apparently I didn't word myself correctly? The above is what I was trying to say...

I inherited several firearms a while back and I asked a friend about running the numbers. I was told that if the gun wasn't clean, I would have to turn the gun in...if I had bought it from a living individual, an investagation would have to be launched!

I was told by S.O. members that if one was asked to run #'s for me and it wasn't clean that he would be BOUND to TAKE the gun on the spot and charge me w/posession of stolen property.

Question 1; if he did find one at a show, what then? Confiscate and arrest even though he wasn't asked to check the #'s? An easy lawsuit?, I dunno.

Question 2; if he did buy one and didn't run the #'s till later would he be Bound to arrest and charge himself?

Hopefully he resists, and he has to tase himself too. :)

From a ex-leo (who maintains training) on this issue:
1. You must have a reason to check the serial number. Mostly this comes from a traffic stop, the gun is found hidden/concealed, you can run the serial number. This usually happens when the driver is arrested, known to be a felon/underage or you have ARS that a crime is afoot (gang member etc).
2. When asked to run the serial number for the purpose of purchase

Now car tags:
1. You do not need PC to run a car tag, they are mobile and is it not a RIGHT to drive on the highways of the state, therefore you can run the tag to make sure the vehicles are in compliance. This is the reason why Gwinnett SO, Roswell, etc have the automatic tag scanners on their vehicles (boxes on the trunk lids), they run tags for the sole purpose to find ones that are expired, no insurance or stolen.
2. You must use GCIC in official buisiness, or you can face huge fines and even loose GCIC. This occured to a Gwinnett SO deputy chief, who ran the tags of the "gentlemen" who visited his "mistriss" and he was fired and fined

If anyone wants to buy a firearm, you can call dispatch and ask them to run the serial number. But if your at a park, no cop can just walk up an run a firearm on your person to check the seriel number, that is your personal property and covered under the constitution and HB-308, this would go back to the OC right and they have no PC or even ARS

I was told by S.O. members that if one was asked to run #'s for me and it wasn't clean that he would be BOUND to TAKE the gun on the spot and charge me w/posession of stolen property.

Question 1; if he did find one at a show, what then? Confiscate and arrest even though he wasn't asked to check the #'s? An easy lawsuit?, I dunno.

Question 2; if he did buy one and didn't run the #'s till later would he be Bound to arrest and charge himself?

BS, that is something some Po dunk deputy or State Patrol would do. In order to have a warrant for theft by receiving, you "Known or should have known the property was stolen", this would be like buying a Glock for $100, that should raise flags and then you should have the serial # ran. If the property is stolen, he will take it and through GCIC a "locate hit" would be sent to the original agency that reported the firearm stolen, then it would be released to the original owner. You have to prove that the reciepient knew it was stolen

Back
Top Bottom