Attention Law Enforcement Officers

CCSO Yes they do run numbers and when you go into pawn a gun they can call the SO to check but in all those cases the officer doing the running is ON duty and acting in his/her official capacity. The question here is NOT about on duty officers who are doing their job. The question is about an off duty officer and whether or not he broke GCIC policy by running the number. My guess is he broke not only GCIC policy but allso HIPPA regs.

doesn't seem to me the issue is personal gain, the issue is probable cause...simply selling a gun doesn't seem like probable cause to investigate the background of the gun...i doubt pawn shops call and run numbers unless they suspect there is an issue with the gun (or any other merchandise for that matter)...i'm not an leo and i'm not here to bash leos but i do think this was a questionable act whether the leo was on duty or off...

Ok, after reviewing this further, I would be willing to bet that OK Steves trade buddy called dispatch and have THEM run the number. I just spoke with another member who is in LE and he said personal use of GCIC is OFF LIMITS and officers have been fired over such.

I think OK Steves situation was probably handled correctly.

I don't have a problem with it. If I could run numbers I would do it. I think it's policy for most police departments to run numbers for civilians even if they do sometimes require the officer to be present at the transaction. If it's good for them (LEO) to run numbers for me, then it's good for (LEO) to run numbers for their own or their fellow (LEO)'s transactions. I don't see that it's unfair or a mis-use of their time or my tax money. I would love to have a cop in my back pocket to call when I needed numbers run... I'm just saying...

The ability to check out a firearms history should be available to all of us in the near future.

Integrated Firearms Information Systems, LLC

Information Technology and Services industry

Gun Trax is a "weapons cataloging and transitional managemant security system" providing succesion identification and resolution of weapons that are lost, stolen, or used/involved in a criminal activity. Specifically the system provides a secured data base only accessed by the weapon's owner to record owners transition of specific weapons. Other than current owner access for transitioning to new owners, or used/involved in a criminal activity but only by weapon serial numberof image of casting/projectile.

Ok, after reviewing this further, I would be willing to bet that OK Steves trade buddy called dispatch and have THEM run the number. I just spoke with another member who is in LE and he said personal use of GCIC is OFF LIMITS and officers have been fired over such.

I think OK Steves situation was probably handled correctly.

Yeah, that's what he did, he phoned dispatch.

I haven't mentioned it before because it is in the early stages of development, but we are in the process of building our own stolen guns database here. It'll take a while before the database would be large enough to actually be worth using, but you have to start somewhere. It'll also be available to non-members as well.

Yeah, that's what he did, he phoned dispatch.

I haven't mentioned it before because it is in the early stages of development, but we are in the process of building our own stolen guns database here. It'll take a while before the database would be large enough to actually be worth using, but you have to start somewhere. It'll also be available to non-members as well.

Sounds like an excellent addition!

Back
Top Bottom