• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

attracting fish to property

Stack pallets together and wire them up with galvanized wire. A couple large cubes of pallets sunk off of the end of a dock or off of the bank work great for habitat, and don't snag as easily as trees.

The lake goes to about 15-20 feet around me, but it stays pretty shallow for 20-30 feet out. I've got a portable depth finder, but it is on my Dad's boat in storage. I'll check when I get it. I've got a ton of limbs and wood that I'll drag out and make a pile, and I'll check on the fish feeder. I've thought about stocking the lake. I've got a couple of buddies on the city council (city owned lake). They have been talking about stocking the lake, but who knows when they get that done. I was wondering about how many fish I'd need to put in to make a difference. I live almost at the far north end of the lake and it is probably the narrowest section of the lake. Thanks for the help guys.

hgunhntr that is a great idea. I'll try that out.

No problem. It is really the best solution since you are trying to attract bait fish. Give them a safe place to hang out and you will have loads of them. Where there are loads of baitfish, there are loads of gamefish. The pallet cubes have always worked the best for me, because it provides a haven for baitfish where they cannot be eaten by predators. Stocking the lake won't do you any good if you don't provide those fish with forage.
Best of luck.

Get a burlap sac and fill it with the super cheap dog food in the big bags. The dog food you wouldn't even feed you neighbors dog that you hate. Dump all that in the burlap sac tie it up then tie bricks too it. Take it out in the lake and let it sit for a 2 days and come back with a empty cooler for all the fish. Catfish and crappie love that. We tie a bottle to some fishing line and then to the bag so we know where its at.

Back when I lived in the Chattanooga area I would place about 100 christmas trees a year in the lake. We would attach a can of cheap dog food on each tree and put about 4 or 5 to a set. We would also gather hardwood and fruit tree limbs, tie them together and weight them down.

We would spend several hours dropping the brushpiles and trees in the lake. We would then start fishing one the first group of trees and would catch some nice crappie. The minnows come to the dog food real quick.

I would say a feeder (floating or sinking fish pellets are pretty cheap) but you may wind up with all your neighbors on that lake parked at your dock.
Gregg at AES is a great guy. A 3 pack of his 'porcupine' spheres are only $35 and are basically snag proof. http://lakework.com/cart/index.php?p=catalog&parent=8&pg=1

Back
Top Bottom