• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Babies at gun range

Tommyb

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
112   0
Reaction score
Hey. Ok crap weather sounds thinking about going to range. How old were yalls kids (babies) first time y’all took them? Of course good hearing protection is a must. Anything else to consideration?

Babies at the gun range are the reason I don't like public ranges. jk

We use 7 years of age as an arbitrary minimum at the gun club in Macon. I've seen younger boys about 5 years outshoot the heck of grown men with 45 long Colt revolvers. Just depends on maturity and equipment. Can they remain focused and follow safety protocols?

I visit several indoor ranges 3-4 times a week and agree, some folks should stay at home.
Unsafe and more interested if video with their cells than safety. Ranges do what they can
in the way of supervision... :tape2:

I don't think indoor ranges that allow magnum caliber handguns and centerfire rifles are safe enough for the sensitive ears of kids. Shooting guns like that in a concrete and steel box is just too loud.
And, the safety glasses defeat the effectiveness of ear muffs (breaks the seal around your head), so even with ear plugs AND ear muffs you are still getting too much of a sound blast when the guy two lanes over starts blassin' with his 16" barreled 5.56mm carbine.

It doesn't matter that YOU and YOUR KID are shooting a .22 or a lever action .357 rifle loaded with .38 wadcutters .... other people are shooting in that same concrete box that you're occupying.

Back
Top Bottom