• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Backyard plunking allowed?

this should not even be a question. if you live in the city limits, i can see not firing a weapon.
but if you are in the county, on your land, in America...... screw them. its time to stop paying property tax if you cant shoot on your property.
if you have a ordinance preventing it, you guys need to step up and hammer city hall. put them on notice and put them out of office. find people to replace them...

Amen. But I do remember seeing some dumbass picture of some young lady using a propped up sheet of plywood as a target using a .223 with another house behind her. Put a bunch of holes in that house from the pic.

I had a neighbor who would regularly get drunk and do mag dumps from his AR carbine and his WonderNine pistol
off his back deck, aiming (pointing) at a "tree trunk" about 50 feet away.
His property was about 300 feet deep in that direction, then there was another 300 feet of woods and brush that didn't belong to him, and then a BIG SUBDIVISION of new homes. So, he was shooting in the direction of at least a dozen homes that were only 215yards away.

BUT, HE SAID, he was using that "tree trunk" as his backstop.

The tree in question was only 12" in diameter near chest-height where he'd stapled a cardboard target.
When he was sober in the daylight, most of his shots (and ALL of MINE when I did some shooting with him) would hit that tree near the center and the slugs would embed themselves in the wood.

But those late-night Budweiser-fueled mag dumps? I'll bet 1 shot in 10 landed in that tree and stayed in the wood of that trunk. So many other bullets went God Knows Where.

I pointed out the proximity of those other homes that he was shooting toward and offered to help him build a real backstop with piles of logs and/or sandbags of dirt. He had plenty of both available. But he wasn't interested.
Yet he'd probably shoot 3000 rounds a year in his backyard, mostly at night!

I pointed out the proximity of those other homes that he was shooting toward and offered to help him build a real backstop with piles of logs and/or sandbags of dirt. He had plenty of both available. But he wasn't interested.
Yet he'd probably shoot 3000 rounds a year in his backyard, mostly at night!
I’m making a real backstop. I got some railroad ties stacked high as the final backstop and am getting a load of dirt to pile in front of it. Behind the backstop is just woods for at least a mile and no roadways behind it for more than that. My only concern is one or two neighbors in hearing distance. And I’m probably right at the limit for minimum distance to a road on the right (parallel to my target)

I’m making a real backstop. I got some railroad ties stacked high as the final backstop and am getting a load of dirt to pile in front of it. Behind the backstop is just woods for at least a mile and no roadways behind it for more than that. My only concern is one or two neighbors in hearing distance. And I’m probably right at the limit for minimum distance to a road on the right (parallel to my target)

The neighbors don't actually matter as long as you are within the law. I'd measure first before I put the effort into building a back stop and getting dirt.

Back
Top Bottom