• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bad grouping

karlvv30

Wolf Icon Supporter
Bad at deer hunting
19   0
Reaction score
I was getting a bad grouping with my 45-70. Changed out the scope and rings. Grouping still sucks. I can hit what I'm aiming at but it's about a 3 inch group at 50 yards. That's not good. Should I try different ammo? I've been using 325 grain leverevolution ammo. I'm thinking about trying new ammo and seeing if I can get it tighter. Btw, shooting 20 rounds out of a 45-70 sucks.

Something else up there sir. Have had the same rifle with a little 2x7 on it. Should shoot clovers with anything up to 405gr. Checked torque on scope?nick in the crown. Better yet don't hate yourself and get a 308/7mm08.

Hmm, 45 is inherently very accurate. I would try different ammo. Maybe different weight bullets. I'm not well versed on rifling twist on this one. I can tell you that a tighter twist usually likes a heavier bullet. I looked up the twist, seems it's an average rate. I'd try some Winchester ammo in a heavy bullet. See what that does.

Something else up there sir. Have had the same rifle with a little 2x7 on it. Should shoot clovers with anything up to 405gr. Checked torque on scope?nick in the crown. Better yet don't hate yourself and get a 308/7mm08.

Both scopes and mounts were torqued to spec. Second one I used locktite 242. I like to abuse myself. I have plenty other deer guns.

Hmm, 45 is inherently very accurate. I would try different ammo. Maybe different weight bullets. I'm not well versed on rifling twist on this one. I can tell you that a tighter twist usually likes a heavier bullet. I looked up the twist, seems it's an average rate. I'd try some Winchester ammo in a heavy bullet. See what that does.

I'm going to try. I've had someone else shoot it to make sure it wasn't just me. Did everything right and it's still not tight like I want it. If it's not the ammo it's the gun. I don't want it to be that.

My 308's will work fine. I'm about to get another. Found a jammaster 742 in 308 today. Gonna trade the guy a pistol for it and put a rail and the vortex on it.

Back
Top Bottom