• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bass broke the line at the boat

When I was a kid me and my dad fished the Tennessee river and would catch quite a few 10+ pounders. You could ball up both fists and put it in their mouths. One day I hooked a bass that took off and snapped that old style 14 size strength of 40 lb test line like it wasn't even there. Zipp and pop. I have got into striper fishing lately and I doubt I will ever largemouth fish again.

I catch my striper on a small one man pontoon raft. Its a heck of alot of fun. This one scaled in at 11.6 lbs. average.

View attachment 109539

very true

The only fish I have on the wall is a 10+ pound largemouth I caught in Roswell.

Was bank fishing and I jumped in the lake to grab him. Did not want him getting away. Walked into walmart soaking wet to buy a fish scale.

That's always the case, the big ones always get away.... next time don't freak out when you hook a big fish and let him do his thing, trust your hook set. Once you have landed him then you can freak out
You are correct in 1983 I landed a 13# bass in FL on 4# line.. we were vacationing actually honey- mooning and happened to have my ultralight trout rod in the car... she was on a bed and after several casts she got pissed and bit, fought her for 15 min just got lucky there were no stumps or trash.. I have pics of her on the wall in a photo album nothing on the computer..

Suggestion,

Pull off 6" - 8' of the line and re-tie it. If it is fluorocarbon line it stretches and when under a good amount of pressure they can break, we had a fishing guide on Lake Lanier tell us that.

Change or re-spool your line at least once a year, the line will greatly weaken with U V exposure from the sun.

Try if you wish, something that was passed on to us.

Enjoy your trip tomorrow..

Back
Top Bottom