• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trot line set

I use to run trot lines in the Flint river as a kid and I caught 1 channel cat and about 100 snapping turtles. Big mean turtles not them little ones but some that weighed over 25+ pounds.
That would have made my day. Snapping turtles are better eating than catfish any day of the week. A little more work to clean though.

That would have made my day. Snapping turtles are better eating than catfish any day of the week. A little more work to clean though.
Set up a 25 hook line on the Flint river and at least ten hooks the next day will be huge snapping turtles.

Had a good morning! Was in the river a little after sun up to pull the line. Yesterday baited em up with live bluegill (some as big as my hand) fresh cut bluegill, a cut up drum, and at the risk of sound sacrilegious a few small spotted bass.
Right off the fly I noticed I had movement on the line and the second hook a nice size eater, then the line just stopped. I had noticed it was a completely different direction than I set it. My first though was crap I am wrapped up in a tree. I pulled and yanked pulling the boat over to the spot where the line was straight down and it moved! Yippy, not a tree started pulling something heavy up and saw the flash of white from an underbelly. Got a 25" catfish! A few hooks later had another good size cat about 18-20 inches (I didn't measure it). I only caught three but it will provide a great meal or two.
I put larger more meater circle hooks on my line last week. 5/0 eagle claw because my others were getting straightened. This morning I had one hook completely straightened and 3 down lines which are 150lb nylon broken off. Think I am gonna up my game to 8 or 9/0 hooks and use some big braid.
Anywho awesome morning and the Lord provided another great meal and adventure to boot.

Attachments

• IMG_20230708_090932808_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230708_090932808_HDR.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 26
Had a good morning! Was in the river a little after sun up to pull the line. Yesterday baited em up with live bluegill (some as big as my hand) fresh cut bluegill, a cut up drum, and at the risk of sound sacrilegious a few small spotted bass.
Right off the fly I noticed I had movement on the line and the second hook a nice size eater, then the line just stopped. I had noticed it was a completely different direction than I set it. My first though was crap I am wrapped up in a tree. I pulled and yanked pulling the boat over to the spot where the line was straight down and it moved! Yippy, not a tree started pulling something heavy up and saw the flash of white from an underbelly. Got a 25" catfish! A few hooks later had another good size cat about 18-20 inches (I didn't measure it). I only caught three but it will provide a great meal or two.
I put larger more meater circle hooks on my line last week. 5/0 eagle claw because my others were getting straightened. This morning I had one hook completely straightened and 3 down lines which are 150lb nylon broken off. Think I am gonna up my game to 8 or 9/0 hooks and use some big braid.
Anywho awesome morning and the Lord provided another great meal and adventure to boot.
With live bream I use 100# braid with stainless 12/o circle hook

Back
Top Bottom