• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Beautiful Giant Steam Locomotive!!

My son and grandson are enroute to see the Big Boy in central Arkansas this week. I was born about 70 years too late, I would have loved to have been a steam engineer. Union Pacific has spent 3 years and a ton of money to restore 4014 in their shops in Cheyenne WY, it is presently on an excursion "loop" thru the SW USA. The boiler expands 2 inches from its cold length to its hot length, engine weighs 1.2 million pounds, it is currently towing diesel 4141 which pulled the "Bush Sr." funeral train to its final resting spot in College Station TX. We will follow it from Prescott Ark to Russellville Ark with a one day stop in Little Rock. Engine has to stop every 100 miles for lubing and safety checks.

Originally built by ALCO....American Locomotive Company in Schenectady NY in 1941, it was delivered to the Union Pacific just a few weeks before Pearl Harbor. Designed to haul long freight, mainly coal, trains across the western plains. Originally designed to burn coal, which UP had vast reserves of, the engine now runs on recycled automotive motor oil. There were 20 engines built for the initial order, with another 5 delivered a year later. 4014 is the only one operating. There are about 6 others on static/museum displays in PA, WI, MO, TX, WY, NE. The rest were scrapped in the late 1950's/early 1960's

My son and grandson are enroute to see the Big Boy in central Arkansas this week. I was born about 70 years too late, I would have loved to have been a steam engineer. Union Pacific has spent 3 years and a ton of money to restore 4014 in their shops in Cheyenne WY, it is presently on an excursion "loop" thru the SW USA. The boiler expands 2 inches from its cold length to its hot length, engine weighs 1.2 million pounds, it is currently towing diesel 4141 which pulled the "Bush Sr." funeral train to its final resting spot in College Station TX. We will follow it from Prescott Ark to Russellville Ark with a on day stop in Little Rock. Engine has to stop every 100 miles for lubing and safety checks. Originally built by ALCO....American Locomotive Company in Schenectady NY in 1941, it was delivered to the Union Pacific just a few weeks before Pearl Harbor. Designed to haul long freight, mainly coal, trains across the western plains. There were 20 engines built for the initial order, with another 5 delivered a year later. 4014 is the only one operating. There are about 6 others on static/museum displays in PA, WI, MO, TX, WY, NE.

Neat, thanks for the info.

My son and grandson are enroute to see the Big Boy in central Arkansas this week. I was born about 70 years too late, I would have loved to have been a steam engineer. Union Pacific has spent 3 years and a ton of money to restore 4014 in their shops in Cheyenne WY, it is presently on an excursion "loop" thru the SW USA. The boiler expands 2 inches from its cold length to its hot length, engine weighs 1.2 million pounds, it is currently towing diesel 4141 which pulled the "Bush Sr." funeral train to its final resting spot in College Station TX. We will follow it from Prescott Ark to Russellville Ark with a one day stop in Little Rock. Engine has to stop every 100 miles for lubing and safety checks.

Originally built by ALCO....American Locomotive Company in Schenectady NY in 1941, it was delivered to the Union Pacific just a few weeks before Pearl Harbor. Designed to haul long freight, mainly coal, trains across the western plains. Originally designed to burn coal, which UP had vast reserves of, the engine now runs on recycled automotive motor oil. There were 20 engines built for the initial order, with another 5 delivered a year later. 4014 is the only one operating. There are about 6 others on static/museum displays in PA, WI, MO, TX, WY, NE. The rest were scrapped in the late 1950's/early 1960's
Would the one in PA happen to be in the Franklin Institute in Phila?

When the Tennessee valley rail road in Chattanooga is running their diesel or steam , when you buy your ticket , if you ask , you can ride in the cab

I did it when they had steam and it’s awesome to ride up front and help em shovel coal into it

Back
Top Bottom