BERSA THUNDER .380 - HOT TIP!! Solve FEED PRobs!!

DOWBAY

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
HAve 2 BERSA THUNDER .380's... BOTH Standard 7rd. MAG Models (Plus) - NOT the CC Model. Have been shooting them regularly - for years now (as has my wife, and a friend who also has one). LOVE IT! Lousy Trigger - but GREAT GUN otherwise! Certainly: BEST VALUE FOR THE $$$!!

*** RELIABLE!! And as accurate (or even more so) than any other .380's - yes, even SIG P238... which is reee-ally finicky with the hotter 380 AMMO's!! TOO finicky for my taste!

I only shoot UNDERWOOD... UNDERWOOD .380 EXTREME DEFENDER +P 90gr.. or UNDERWOOD +P 90gr. XTP - BOTH BEST SELF-DEFENSE AMMO's MONEY CAN BUY FOR .380 (XTP being the more Affordable of the 2).

Have had NO PROBS to report - RECOMMEND all the time!! (altho DO have a preference for the newer S&W M&P .380 SHIELD I bought... A really nice weapon. SLightly Bigger than BERSA - my wife wont carry, but I do. A GREAT GUN OTHERWISE... but I digress...)

** HERE'S A TIP - EVEN THE AUTHORIZED REPAIR CENTERS for BERSA DONT KNOW (care?)!

Just recently bought the 2-tone CC Model (Concealed Carry). Right out the box had feed probs! As I later learned -after much experimentation- only with certain AMMO's, tho. For ex., could shoot PMC, but couldnt handle LAWMAN or BUFFALO BORE +P HYPER stuff... and definitely NOT the UNDERWOOD! Really Pissed - wow! :censored: and disappointed. BRAND NEW GUN.

Did some research - found others having same - with CC Model, in the past.

LIKE A MORON: Went to PAIN & EXPENSE - Sent it it in to a "qualified" Authorized BERSA REPAIR Ctr. WHAT - A - FRIKIN - HASSLE!! UPS - real pain nowadays... Cant fool 'em anymore - they make u OPEN the package now... "Bomb scare" thing - r something, I was told. EXPENSIVE AS HELL!!

Anyway: 3 weeks later... returned to me... back to Range: STILL mis-feeding... :doh: SUPER pissed now! Promptly sent it BACK... They sent me VID showing where it was NOT having any probs (with their cheap, bulk ammo)... accused ME of ... 1) using bad ammo; 2) Improper USER-hold on gun... , 3) other... with a Warning: DONT SEND IT BACK!

** SOLUTION:
Had a mechanically-inclined Friend take a look - at BOTH Models. FIRST thing he noticed: Barrel Recoil Spring - 2 different Lengths! CC has 3.9", ALL OTHERS 5.x"...

Swapped 5.x" into CC model... ret'd to range:

** NO PROBS!!! SHOT ALL DAY - NOT A SINGLE JAM!! SHOT EVERYTHING!!! SHOT 500 rds. !! :becky: :watermelon: :victorious:

Called BERSA - EAGLE IMPORTS Home Ofc. - bought a 5.x" Spring... Its on the way now...

Gonna chunk that stock 3.5" Spring... Design Defect? Flaw? WTF?!! What could BERSA's possible reason be for putting a shorter Spring in a gun thats EXACTLY THE SAME as their others... yes - EXACTLY!! And did they even TEST it against various Ammo's??

MOOT POINTS: I dont know... dont care... ALL I KNOW IS - Im A HAPPY CAMPER NOW. The CC as reliable as can be.

** So PLEASE - SPREAD THE WORD!! :grouphug:

BERSA: STILL THE BOSS IN ITs PRICE-RANGE!! EVEN IF BERSA IS TRYING TO UNDERMINE THEIR OWN LINE.

Thx for reading... ;) :pop2:

Thanks I own 1 or 2 , like them will try to find a 5 inch spring you have a link to purchase the spring???
E

I’ve got the “combat” version I found in a pawn shop. Gave it to my wife to use and she likes it. I just wanted a PPK clone that was affordable and reliable.

Gosh I have owned like 5 Bersa thunder over the years, between friends and family talking me into selling them.
I now have 2 and I must say they have all ran 100% or so damn close to it that I can't remember a problem'
by the way OP if you think that pissed you off, just mention to the manufacture that you are firing non approved ammo in their gun.
there is no SAAMI/CIP approved 380 Plus P pressure ammo.
glad you figured out the problem.

You may want to check but if I recall - Bersa does not rate their pistols for +P ammo. Probably why it ran with the cheap ammo. Did not need the longer spring with cheap ammo.

OPPS: Abt AMMO - yeh, agree, ur prob right. wuld make sense, anyway. ALTHO! I WAS told -by a reliable source I trust - that HE had talked to their Home ofc - And REPAIR CTR's BOTH, who told HIM that yes, the BERSA *CAN* handle modest amounts of +P - with no probs. SO. Hv been doing jsut that. - for years now... and same as FLASHOVER16 THERE, havent had a "squeak" out of either that I have owned. Ever! They're just reliable buggers!!

I just wish they'd fix the double-play in the triggers. That all. Have asked many GUNSMITHS, too - Including the "authorized" guys - if they wuld polish it out (r something). NONE will touch it! hah. :cold: One told me "Want a decent Trigger? Buy a SIG or GLOCK. BERSA's r TRASH..." ... :confused: ... right. Glad that was justhis opinion, huh?

Oh well... no prob. Not that bigga deal... :cool:

OPPS: Abt AMMO - yeh, agree, ur prob right. wuld make sense, anyway. ALTHO! I WAS told -by a reliable source I trust - that HE had talked to their Home ofc - And REPAIR CTR's BOTH, who told HIM that yes, the BERSA *CAN* handle modest amounts of +P - with no probs. SO. Hv been doing jsut that. - for years now... and same as FLASHOVER16 THERE, havent had a "squeak" out of either that I have owned. Ever! They're just reliable buggers!!

I just wish they'd fix the double-play in the triggers. That all. Have asked many GUNSMITHS, too - Including the "authorized" guys - if they wuld polish it out (r something). NONE will touch it! hah. :cold: One told me "Want a decent Trigger? Buy a SIG or GLOCK. BERSA's r TRASH..." ... :confused: ... right. Glad that was justhis opinion, huh?

Oh well... no prob. Not that bigga deal... :cool:

OH - BTW: To get 5.5" Spring - jsut call their main Ofc (EAGLE IMPORTS?). Was, I beleive, with S&H only abt $9-10?

Back
Top Bottom