• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best .223 round for deer?

Don't try to out shoot your ability / shot placement is the key! bullet weight ? any weight that your rifle shoots best! a 22lr will drop any deer, 223 / 5.56 is traveling at Mach 3 has a big advantage. I have taken four over the years one with a AR-180 the other three with colts. all with FMJ
Oh really ? Hunting (and harvesing 4 deer ) with FMJ huh? Might wanna re read your regs. Just when i thought iv seen it all on ODT.

How many times a week do you drive drunk and steal?
WOW......!Steal: As a young man yes my parents made me re turn it Very embarrassing .....Drive drunk not since teenager through mid twenty's learned the hard way! Why did you state this! I am 55 now youth is bliss . I answered a question based on what I have seen done and what I have done! Its a honest answer to what can be done , is that what he asked? Legalities on doing this is a whole different dog; one we abide to today. But City boy the first three digits on my SS# is 574.........and there is a place called Kake. Dang; just reread post I see where the criticism stems from " over the years " sorry boys this was done in my youth many years ago! I know you still want to burn me at the stake!

Cor Bon BTHP match in a rifle that will shoot one hole at 100 yards. Explodes deer hearts. Well at least turns them to mush. Shot three that were standing together and one made it 15 yards the other two were DRT.

A neck shot isn't always a sure thing. Deflating the lungs or hitting a chamber in the heart is......
Besides, tracking one after the shot is a part of the hunt.
I've followed some tough blood trails in my hunting career and those deer are the ones that stand out in my memories.

There is no good .223 round for deer hunting.

A head shot is a sure thing.

Tracking after the shot is for poor marksmen.

I've helped people follow blood trails that led to a lot of bad memories.

Safety
Marksmanship
Proper care and processing of game

My hunting ethics class didn't say anything about shooting deer in the side so you can spend countless hours searching for wounded game that dies a slow miserable death, that you may or may not recover.

There is no room for error with a 5.56 or .223. Using 6.8 SPC or 300 Blackout are much better choices.
Only take shots at distances that you can accurately hit a coke can sized target at under stress.
Neck shot, liver or heart shots are best, double lung them and you might be tracking a while.
Use a 62 grain bonded bullet or my favorite Barnes 70 grain TSX.
Use 5.56 and not .223 if possible.
Do not shoot through any foliage, vines, branches etc.
Do not shoot when they are walking, running, spooked, or nervous.

Back
Top Bottom