• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best 44 mag ammo for handgun hunting

Jack Rabbit

Marines Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
148   1
Reaction score
I plan on trying my luck hunting with a Ruger Redhawk 7.5" 44 magnum this year.
I have never hunted with a handgun so my question would be ,
What is the best ammo for hunting Deer and Hogs?
I will not be shooting over 50-60 yards max.
I plan on getting it sighted in soon and would like to use the ammo I am hunting with to sight it in.
I opted to go with a see thru rail so I could use my iron sights if needed.
Here is my setup :

44mag.png

I plan on trying my luck hunting with a Ruger Redhawk 7.5" 44 magnum this year.
I have never hunted with a handgun so my question would be ,
What is the best ammo for hunting Deer and Hogs?
I will not be shooting over 50-60 yards max.
I plan on getting it sighted in soon and would like to use the ammo I am hunting with to sight it in.
I opted to go with a see thru rail so I could use my iron sights if needed.
Here is my setup :

View attachment 6190989
I think I'm going to try as well this year. I have the same exact gun and I'm really wanting to finally get a deer with it!

Careful what you use. A 44mag can mess up a lot of meat. Also careful aim so that you only have to shoot once. Anymore than that, you're going to mess up a lot of meat. Now that said, I've never bought a factory loaded magnum cartridge for pistol shooting. I've always used the Speer 240gr jacketed soft flat point traveling @1250 fps. I can drive tacs with it. The old bullets expanded better a low velocities. Even in standard cartridges like 45 Colt. The new bullets, the jacket comes all the way up to the top corner of the bullet. I suppose better for penetration. I've taken deer to 100yds with that round with a rifle and 35 yds with a pistol. One shot and on the ground

Back
Top Bottom