• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Budget Hunting Rifles?

Even for a very good marksman, in an average hunting situation, 600-800 yards is not practical, that is over 1/4 mile. I consider it unethical if you can't put it down. I never shoot over 150-200 yards. With a 308 and my Remington bolt, they drop on the spot.

I don't disagree with you. There are a ton of unspoken variables in the OP's request. For all we know, OP's brother doesn't have enough experience to know he can't reliably hit a game animal at 600 yards without substantial trigger time and rounds sent downrange. Or maybe he's an ace at 600 yards with a 223. Or he doesn't know that a hunting trip out west is a lot more expensive than a budget rifle; the non-resident license alone is likely more than his budget for a rifle and scope. Other than the listed $ parameters, we just don't know.

Agreed not enough info, sounds like from his post his brother wanted a whitetail gun for now and wanted to be able to use it later out west on large animals. Yes, A do it yourself elk hunt on BLM land is still going to cost you close to 10k with lic, tags, travel, accommodations, etc. A $450 rifle is a small number compaired to the total cost. Also very few hunters have the ability to shoot 400+ yards, A lot of hunters around here have trouble at 100 yards and think they will go west and shoot an Elk at 800 yards. Last years Elk hunt had a kid maybe 23 years old shoot at a elk at 650 yards, and when ask do you know how far that is? He said 250 yards, We hiked back up to where he shot from I handed him my range finder and said what you got, he said this thing is broken it says 644 yards. Go figure.

Been to Wyoming elk hunting and it is very much like ga. Killed several and all were under 150 yds. Yes you can shoot a lot further but you still have to quarter and get it out. 30-06 or 270 is fine. No 30 30's

Back
Top Bottom