• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best CCW in .40 cal?

Sig P239 is as long, tall, and wide as is a Glock 19.

And weighs about 3 ounces more, unloaded.

Kahr "P" Series vs. Sig P239 .... "K" series shown, but basically the same as the "P".

i51.tinypic.com_eapr2b.jpg

If concealment is important.

I'd still rather have the Sig if comfort of shooting factors in. I have shot a couple of Kahr 40's...and the Sig 239 is just more comfortable to me.

A g23 can conceal pretty easy. I have no experience with the subcompact glocks.
Here is my G23 right at 2:45 on me back when wearing fitting clothing. I have thinned down since then a lot 50 pounds so far, and it still hides easy. Yes we can notice it some because I am purposely pulling my shirt tight but to any normal civie I would have nothing...
i253.photobucket.com_albums_hh47_mazdaoffroad_DSC02095.jpg

I carry a glock 23, I have owned three of them and keep going back to them. I also own a glock 19. The G27 is a fantastic choice too, I have owned 5 of those little beasts.

A g23 can conceal pretty easy. I have no experience with the subcompact glocks.
Here is my G23 right at 2:45 on me back when wearing fitting clothing. I have thinned down since then a lot 50 pounds so far, and it still hides easy. Yes we can notice it some because I am purposely pulling my shirt tight but to any normal civie I would have nothing...
i253.photobucket.com_albums_hh47_mazdaoffroad_DSC02095.jpg

Hey man, congrats on the weight loss, that is NOT easy !!!!

When I carried a Glock 19, I also tried out a G26.

Since they were the same width/thickness, I found the 19 virtually as easy to conceal, and not bad, at all. I'm sure the Sig P239, being virtually the same size conceals well also.

Since the Glock .40SW's are the same size as their Nines, that would carry over, for me.

I still own the G19, but I find the Kahr P40 just a LOT easier to carry, and conceal, and I think that 7 rounds of .40 will serve me just as well. I carry the P40 almost exclusively now.

In fact, if I could have found a P9 when I bought the P40, I'd be carrying that, instead.

I'm one of those "nuts" that actually believe "9, 40, 45" one is as good as the next.

Thank goodness we live in an age of so many good choices !!

Lot's of good options being suggested.
I personally have carried a Glock 23 for over 15 years because it suits all of my needs. I alternate with a Glock 19 when I have training classes (which is now every week) due to lower ammo cost for 9mm. Plus when a students gun starts choking & puking, I can loan them one of my glocks in their preferred caliber because they always work.
I loan other brands as well but the manual of arms for the Glock is just so simple that we can focus more on the training & less on the gun...
A good holster AND BELT make a big difference in comfort & concealability.
Thankfully, there are plenty of good, reliable guns to pick from now days so, if you haven't already, see if you can find a range that rents different guns or come to one of the ODT meets where several members are bringing their guns to let each other try different models & calibers.
Guns are sort of like shoes... no one can tell you which one will be a perfect fit for you.

Best advice I can give is to not listen to any of us. The truth is you have to find a combination that works for you. I carry a g27 or g23 in a milt sparks holster. This is the set up that works for me best. You should do your best to get your hands on every gun that interests you. Borrow your buddies and shoot them. Finding the right gun is only part of the equation the next is carry method which brings even more decisions to be made.

There is an immense amount of knowledge, experience, and opinion on this board but in the case of every day carry it is highly personal and a decision that only you can make. If you stick to quality known goods in firearms, holsters, and ammo you should be just fine. Best of luck.

Basically what Monte at protective measures is saying above me...

Last edited:
I'm one of those "nuts" that actually believe "9, 40, 45" one is as good as the next.

Thank goodness we live in an age of so many good choices !!

I am of the same mentality for defensive purposes any of those will work just as well...I am looking at getting one of those Kel-tec PF9's....I have shot a friends and for such a little pistols that thing handles great and is VERY accurate....Once I get one it will probably be the carry gun, But the OP was asking about .40's so I was going on what I know of for myself, not forum hearsay...lol

Back
Top Bottom