• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best chainsaw brand

Gordylew

Firefighter Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
189   0
Reaction score
What is your favorite brand chain saw? I bought a Stihl around 19 years ago, a 290 Farm Boss from Southern Power equipment in McDonough. The thing has been a constant POS since day one. You can't get through a tank of fuel without it getting hot and seizing up until it cools down. I've had it rebuilt twice hoping for better results. I picked up a cheapy Homelite years ago at a yard sale. Guy basically gave to to me said it didn't work. I took it home cleaned up the carb, put a new spark plug and fresh fuel and it cranked right up. Darn thing is indestructible. Beats the over hyped Stihl for dependability. I know owning only one Stihl I should not judge all by that but I'm looking at getting something I can't kill. prefer 18" or larger.
What are some good uns?

I toted a Husqvarna years ago back in the UK - great piece of equipment - but I doubt they're selling that model nowadays and the modern version is probably 80% chinesium.

I got about the same mileage out of any of the smaller ones. Husky was prolly the best overall but a 14 inch Homelite use to do it all always

Stihl is ****! I gave away the 2 I had. For the power to weight, you can't beat a Husqvarna. I use the 455 (24"). Also use a echo for a small saw (18").

Spend the bucks and get the premix gas from any box store, never worry about the carb being clogged when you need it.

I was a stihl and ole school homelite guy until I became a parent and homeowner and had less money for high end saws. Im now a huge fan of Echos. I currently have a cs 352, 501p and a Timberwolf cs 590, they all run like scalded dogs and have dozens and dozens of tanks through them with zero issues (no ethanol EVER!) the 590 will burry a 25” bar in hardwood with any 60cc saw twice the money. Carb tunes and mild muffler mods along with razor sharp blades and 90 octane fuel+ace brand semi synthetic or craftsman grey bottle two stroke oil is all.

I have mostly had stihl and had good service. Have only had one husky and it was used. Gave trouble after used some. Had one echo and it’s been good. Gave to my sil 7-8 years ago and he still uses it. I prefer stihl but had one a while back that I had trouble with

I stopped using mix because I had issues with getting the ratio correct and the last guy that rebuilt it suggested 40:1 instead of 50:1. For as infrequent as I use it I found it cheaper to just buy the premix when I need it.
AS for doing something wrong, probably. I crank it after about 30 pulls and a lot of cussing. I cut up what ever small to medium tree I need to get out of the way and then it stops running a quarter the way through. I try in futility to get it back running with a lot more cussing until I stagger off in complete exhaustion. Yep, I doing something wrong. I need dynamite.
I go back to the barn get the cheap Homelite 14" out and proceed to slowly cut up what should have been done in a few minutes with a larger chain saw. I can leave the Homelite out in the rain for a week, kick it across the yard and probably run straight gas in it and it will still crank up and run.

Back
Top Bottom