• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Deer Caliber?

I've dragged everything at one point into the woods. But ga deer your not shooting long distance like western states.
Rounds I've hunted with
Dirty 30
.270win
7.62x54r
7.62x39
30-06
.300win mag
44mag
357mag

Late season most of my hunting is up close in thick stuff so I bring anything I've got with iron sights.
30-30
7.62x54r
44mag revolver
357mag revolver
added a mares leg this year in 44mag

excellent group with a 444...

I had a single shot 45/70 that would group like that but you had to shoot lever evo ammo.

Thanks.....I'm thinking I could have done better with the 444 had I not been rushed to leave but I'm happy with that.

I'm just extremely impressed with the .308 marlin express round.....freaking incredible.

So many threads about this already.

My favorite for deer? 243 and up. A deer is not a hard animal to bring down if you can place your shots.

My father has hunted deer for the better part of 50 years with 30-06, 25-06, 308 and some sort of Italian surplus - maybe a Carcano (when he was starting out)? Anyway, for the last ten years he's been a big proponent of the 7mm-08. He's a bolt action guy.

My last deer was taken with an AR in 6.8 SPC.

I've only seen one response that mentioned a 35 Rem. any reason that more people don't hunt with them? I have a Marlin 336 in 35 just haven't shot it in a long time.

I cannot tell you why the .35 Rem never became more popular than it did. It is a great deer caliber and very accurate. I have no experience with the .35 Whelan but from all I have read it is another outstanding round for deer.

It's not really the caliber. I believe legally you have to use a center fire .22x caliber with expanding bullets. It's more shot placement, and bullet selection. I've killed one with a .223, .243, .300rum. I can't remember if I shot one with a .270 bug hunted with one for a long time. .223 through the heart and the deer ran about 200 yards. 243 and rum to the neck and they drop. You must be confident in your ability to shoot. I was hunting at a buddy's club when this guy brings back a deer he shot in the face. He says, well I was aiming behind the shoulder!

Back
Top Bottom