• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Deer Caliber?

Ok, I'll be the first to say it..... 338 Federal

Short action, big pointed bullet & won't have any problem taking down any black bear you might run across in these woods.

Of course most anything from .243 - .358 will work just fine in any action you prefer. Just decide on how far you want to shoot first.

Ok, I'll be the first to say it..... 338 Federal

Love that round. Almost went with it...but decided to stick to the 30-06 due to the wider availability of ammo. Of course, I order my hunting ammo from Midway since unless you want Remington Cor-Lokt you can't have it shopping my local stores. And yes...that is in Marietta. I know there is more available...just what I use to hunt with is not available locally (Nosler Trophy with Partitions).

I don't gun hunt much any more but the 2 deer rifles I own are in .270 and 30-06. Cant go wrong with either and ammo for both has always been easy to find even when everybody bought out Wally World.

for me 243. low recoil will kill anything in GA and ammo is easy to find, I also like the 270..

The 270 win. is the most versatile caliber weapon for this part of the U.S. You can take down deer, hogs and bear with confidence. The Tikka T3 is my weapon of choice.

Love that round. Almost went with it...but decided to stick to the 30-06 due to the wider availability of ammo. Of course, I order my hunting ammo from Midway since unless you want Remington Cor-Lokt you can't have it shopping my local stores. And yes...that is in Marietta. I know there is more available...just what I use to hunt with is not available locally (Nosler Trophy with Partitions).

If I didn't reload I'd go nutz having to order all my ammo. I developed a load using Nosler 200gr BT's & Tac powder that keeps me at 1.5" @ 100yds. It's easy to resize 308 brass, so i'll never run out. I'm still surprised this cartridge didn't take off.

Back
Top Bottom