Best Deer Caliber?

I've been hunting with an AR in 6.8 the last few years. It has good ballistics as far as I'm comfortable shooting. Before that I hunted with a 308 bolt gun. Good ballistics and manageable recoil make it a good all purpose caliber.

.270...I know what I'm talking about. These other guys know nothing. Nothing at all. Unless they said .270 they are wrong.

If you can't kill a deer in Georgia DRT with any well designed bullet over 90 grains and/or packing at least 1,800 ft.lbs of energy when it leaves the barrel... you're doing it wrong.
Granted, I'd bring something different to hunt the woods with 50 yard shots vs a beanfiled with 300 yard shots, but even then, one will do the job in both places and one won't.

There isn't a best, there are just calibers that are not as appropriate as others.

I prefer a .25 caliber to .30 caliber bullet though. Anything from .257 Roberts to .300 winmag will tackle any deer in the country. Whether it's smaller southestern deer or cornfed monsters in the midwest, they'll all work.

Back
Top Bottom