• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Deer Caliber?

My dad shoots a .270
My brother shoots a 30/30
I shoot a 7mm rem mag
My friends at work shoot 30-06, 243, 7mm-08, 338 ultra mag

Whatever you are comfortable with. :)

A 30-30 will do you just fine..just make sure you practice like mad before the season and dial that thing in especially if you're scoped........never rely on last years perfectly sighted in scope.
I made that mistake ((once)) and had a very large doe stare at me while I unleashed three shots at her from 30 yards away before she calmly trotted off.

I usually use a 30-30 in heavier brush with closer shots but if I'm watching hillsides in the mountains with longer range shots I take my .308 marlin express and when I'm in big bear country I take my .444 marlin.

Last year my buddy dropped a 9 pointer that was chasing a doe with his .270.
It ran 70 yards and dropped dead.
He immediately shot the doe it was chasing while the buck was running.....the doe dropped dead right there.....then he shot a six pointer that was trying to figure out how to still breed the dropped doe....dropped him right there.
All shots were taken from a tree stand 50 yards away.

I personally have never had one just drop dead without running first with a rifle or broadhead arrow.

My other buddy has been very successful for years with his .257 Roberts.

As you will see....as long as you have the proper caliber for the distance you are shooting then consistent shot placement is your best friend.

Some guys use overkill rounds that blow the entire contents of the deers internals out of the huge exit wound....yes the deer is dead but is that much really necessary?
I guess it's up to you.

Last edited:
As others have stated, not enough info to be able to answer such a question.
Where? At what distance?
Overall? .257 weatherby mag if you don't have a small budget; it's the flattest shooting out to 500yards.
Ballistically, you can come close with a 243w or 270w or 25-06. And if you're in a tree stand and the deer walks around under you, a well placed shot with most handguns can do the job, or you can throw a spear or rock if your aim is good.

Back
Top Bottom